Analog Vs. Digital

fishtankfish

Ok

I have ordered the Samsung 172x based solely on reviews. Up until this point I have only seen LCDs in action using a VGA (analog) input. With the 172x i will be using its DVI (digital) input. I've heard that there is a big difference between analog and digital, is this true? Will it be noticeable?

When LCDs first came out, there was a significant difference between the Analog and DVI connections. Since LCDs are inherently digital, they had to use a sort of bride, a converter if you will, to use the Analog 15 pin connector. Therefore, using the DVI connection, which meant no bridge, the picture quality would be crisper and more responsive. However, with recent developments in LCD technology, the bridge has become advanced to the point where there is no noticable difference between an Analog and DVI connector. So even if you buy a monitor that only comes with an Analog connector, there will be no performance or quality degradation compared to a monitor with a DVI only connection.

with an lcd theres a biiiggg difference. a while back i was between good video cards, and i had to used the vga for a week and my eye got used to it. when i switched back it was amazing. I knew there had been a difference. I'll take some pictures in a little bit, so check back.

If you aren't sure about yours just do some side be side test, plug one input into the dvi and one to the vga of your video card.