Urgent Question

thef1re

oh crap a virus has just went on my pc and some hacker is totally scrwing up my pc, i am going to reformat now. oh crap! have to reinstall all my prog....well while i am reformatting i am gunna create a new partition to install programs only on... so next time i format...i am only installing windows and all my progams will still be there on that drive...but will that work? casue dont the progs write stuff to windowes regsitery and stuff? so if its a new regsirty its stuffed? or its my bad luck and i hav to reinstall all the progs again if i ever format again? Like Can i create a new drive/partition called "Z" and on that drive only install programs? so next time i format, ill only have to dlete my C drive install windows, and i am done casue my progs still in that Z drive...will the new windows be ablw to read the progs on the Z that were installed for the old windows?

i am hoping to reformat tonight so i can be on this pc again tomzo like it was today with everything installed and all.

its a very big problem. i dont wanna sit here all night re installing words, photoshop, games , drivers etc!

dang. so there no shortcut to save reinstalling stuff. new install of windows means new install of sofwate. well i am off to format now

Yes, if you install programs, apps, games, whatever to another partition and your windows partition dies then you will have problems after reinstalling.

The Windows OS is so heavily dependant on the registry that if anything goes wrong with that, you are screwed.

On the flip side, if you lose the partition that the apps are installed on you will have a lot of invalid keys and links that will cause problems for you.

If you are going to keep things split one of the best thing that will help is to keep a current backup copy of your registry. - This will help some if you lose your Windows partition.

It is just my opinion that you would be better off doing a complete reformat and reinstall, especially if that virus is as bad as u made it sound. Just my opinion. Id rather have to reinstall everything then do it half assed first time and have to do it again anyhow.

See, this is why we all should take security measures. Don't open emails from people you dont know. If you have a habit of doing that, switch to Thunderbird, so the email doesn't infect your system like Outlook Express. Don't download stuff from sites you don't trust. Don't click "Yes" to every popup you see. Speaking of popups, if you're still getting them, switch to Firefox. You can only get the popups from the sites that you approve. Keep Windows updated with the latest fixes and service packs. Keep your antivirus program updated and schedule a scan at least once a week. Speaking of scans, make sure you use Adaware and Spybot Search & Destroy to keep adware/spyware out of your system, and make sure you do it regularly. If you want, you can also get registry scanners like Registry Mechanic that will keep your registry free from erroneous keys. Finally, get a GOOD firewall, keep it updated, and ALWAYS leave it on, unless you absolutely need to turn it off.

It's sad that us computer users have to deal with so much just to keep our systems clean and our information safe. But that's the price we pay for using an OS that is targeted by the majority of malicious software on the Internet. Of course, some would also argue that this particular OS is also more prone to these sort of attacks due to the inherent flaws in its code, but that's a different topic altogether.

Im agreeing with kashk5

if the proper security measures were taken, you wouldn't have had the problem in the first place.

Im running my rig without an antivirus and only windows firewall and with a little common sense while browsing, im not making a post about how i got a virus.

i just do a complete re-install when i need to, re-installing the OS and programs gives me the best results, and it should, if you make a SP2 integrated slipstream disc with an unattended install answer file the windows part is pretty easy and fast

the program installing part takes time, but after three of four times, you learn how to do it pretty quick

Guest Silenc3

Meh easy to get around trojans and hackers, I dont use Norton just for the fact its the first thing they look for. Remove your trojans, while in safe mode naturally, clean out your registry, If you do the things right you dont need to reformatt, spending the time to actually fix it instead of starting from a reformatt will save you time and effort in the end.

Just the other day I was at the womans and she was being hacked as i walked threw the door, took control of registry EI etc pretty much anything m$ based.

Disconnected net, Cleaned 23 Trojans. Got it back up. Hacker tried a push, Port flooded him, Havent had a problems since.

What are you waiting for nub, hack him back! :P

Actually just get AVG and a firewall of sorts when you reformat, that should help you protect yourself from this happening again.

I honestly don't want ot know what you were doing to get hacked by some script kiddie though.