Abit Ic7-g Nb Cooling

char1ie

Well, i'm making this post on what seems to be my dying computer. My NB cooling fan started making some funny noises on monday, so i blew all the dust out of it, only to have the problem come back on tuesday, so i hit it with a screwdriver. Now, in the wee hours of friday I have just awaken to the same mechanical whirring noise that makes me want to hurt myself. If anyone knows how common this problem is, and if there is a way to fix it without buying a new NB fan, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

This is a very common issue on the IC7. There is some information on the Abit forums about repacking the bearings, I never tried it. Mine went through stages where it would be quiet for a while, then start clicking, moaning, or howling whenever it saw fit. It never quite died though. Some guys have lost three or four of these fans(!).

the nb fan on the abit boards is referred to as the "little blue POS"...my sons nb fan on his IC7-G is also on the way out....

you have a few choices...

1. remove just the fan, on the underside is a sticker...remove, and add a drop of oil.

2. you can but a replacement fan for 6.99 on xocide.com

3. you can rma the board to abit

4. just replace the entire nb hs and fan...but this will void your warranty

WOW! :blink: I'm having the same issue (still :P) though mine runs when it feels like it :P

Re-oiling did'nt help mine @ all... I was actually thinking of replacement with a Zalman passive cooler, but with a fan added... (I hadn't considered the voiding of the warranty :()

p4plugnf7s9ho.jpg

They are just Abit 'badged' Vantec Iceberg's aren't they? OR a really poor quality "knock off" <_<

To think I used to believe these NB h/sinks were the antZ pantZ :rolleyes: LOL

Edited by tazwegion

i found a ghetto yet effective solution. That's an 80 mm lian-li fan screwed onto my cpu fan so that it is blowing air on the heatsink. I unplugged that fan so it makes no noise now. it's hard to see because of the lack of light under my desk and all, so if you really want i'll snap a better pic tomorrow during the day.

post-68545-1269477818_thumb.jpg