Motivate Me To Finish

ok i've had this plexi window project on top of my head for months now and i would've finished if my first piece of plexi didnt break ON THE LAST SNAP!!!! (man that pissed me off. I was Scoring then snaping) So how should i cut the plexi?? should i score and snap again but take twice as long or should i get my jig saw (i have a fine tooth blade for metle)

My main problem is the shape i have to cut it as you can see from my picture (taken from my motorola v551 :D ) i have that handle to deal with therest of the piece is going to be square except for that one spot.

what should i do??

(i cut the side pannle with a jigsaw and drilled the holes with a wall drill (not battery)

Guest Silenc3

Not sure about how to really do it but I've worked alot of construction and i can tell you now you'd most likely melt your plexy glass withing 10 seconds of using the jigsaw.

i work at Ace Hardware, and when i cut glass and plexiglass... we turn our glass cutting machine blade to a sharp strong blade (the glass cutter is a sharp rolling blade thing) we score the plexiglass twice and then break apart... but make sure u dont score 2 lines.. make sure the score is one on top of the other so it doesnt look bad.. we use a machine to line everything up and lock the plexi in place.. thats how i did my plexi.. i cut it to size.. too bad we can only do squares and straight lines

Not sure about how to really do it but I've worked alot of construction and i can tell you now you'd most likely melt your plexy glass withing 10 seconds of using the jigsaw.

406097[/snapback]

nah....i use jigsaws for all my projects. it won't melt if you go slow.

I mthrow a piece of scrap plywood under the plexi, and cut it and the plexi too. A little bit of sawdust keeps the plexi from gluing itself back together. Five mintues of cleanup with the Dremel, and you're set. This was cut out of plexi sheet with a jigsaw:

dsc010500su.jpg

The dremel is a modder's best friend! I use my dremel to cut all sorts of weird shapes in plexi. And when I score for the long straight snaps, I score like five times :) Like they said above, just make sure they're all on the same line.

When dremelling, you have a couple different options. A good friend of mine swears by cutting with a drill bit, and just using it to trim til you get what you want. I usually to a rough cut with a disk bit and then put a round grind bit on to perfect the cuts and get a final product. The downside to the grinding bit is that the plexi will melt right back together if the ground portion doesn't fall off. Anyways, it's kind of something you just have to get a feel for, but the basic idea is that with a dremel, you can go slowly and therefore be less likely to screw something up majorly. I don't trust a jigsaw on plexi, but others have said it works just fine

:withstupid: I use a drill bit on my dremel to cut plexi, it works fine but will melt the plexi that is removed and you'll have to pick it off of your window (kinda hard to explain what it does, but it's an easy cleanup) plus then you can use the drill bit to clean up the edges and any blemishes.

Best tool I have found to cut plexi is rotozip bits. Look sorta like drill bits, but they aren't. These puppies will cut curves, straight lines, basicailly anything you want.....and when you are done you can round off the edges with it on an angle and low speed setting. do It on a waste piece so you can get the feel of the tool and how it cuts and you should be good from there. ANd the plexi dosen't melt if yiu go slow

Edited by knightfuelfire

why have you got to cut any shapes out? just use a big square pice a little smaller than the side panel itself, but covering all the window you have cut out, thats what i did, i had to cut a little cause of the handel, and for that i used a jigsaw, what the jigsaw did was melt the plexi but to no harm, it only melted where u cut, i just whent over it again, looks sweet as! no probs, a dremel probably is best though! and that would be just a standard cutting disc, nothing special needed, i got one of those cheap immatations so the discs and sanding drums that came with it were poor, but the dremel itself is great, ive hAD NO PROBS, JUST BUY PROPPER DREMEL ACCESORIES.