Help With Ram

my buddy bougth the wrong type of ram, he needed pc2100, and he bought pc2700, it instaled ok , and windows recognizes the memory, but his computer keeps rebooting. he cant take the ram back cause he threw out the package. it should still work i thought, and its a compcrap, so i cant mess with the speeds in the bios. any suggestions? he said the guy at circuit city showed him how to turn something off in windows to stop it from rebooting, but i dont know what it is. when it reboots, it flashes the blue screen, then shuts down, then the error reporting service says windows encountered a critical error. it an asus mobo, no sure of the model.

pull out the ram stick to see if it continues, and also do what they said, test it out. BUT make sure that asus board is using the latest bios firmware, before you flash it, remove that stick like i said ealier, and reset the cmos for any incompatable settings that might be conflicting with the new ram.

Sad to say, but knowing those POS OEM's as well as I do, the PSU is probably being overworked.

Those nutjobs at Compaq, Gateway, Dell ect. will put the cheapest, lowliest, bare-minimum ghetto parts into an awful case, they will use POS PROPRIETARY power and MOBO components that will flat-out try to assasinate any good parts you swap in - and then they'll push that abomination onto the ignorant (L)users out there for twice the cost of a built rig that is at least twice as powerful.

Hey, if they don't build them quick, cheap and dirty, they won't make nearly as much from the TECH SUPPORT LINES IN INDIA when they fail.

I do not subscribe to that point of view.

I have seen this before; you use the original HDD as a slave and install a larger primary drive and BAM - BSOD's and crashes.

I am forced to keep several spare POS-to-ATX converter plugs on hand for just such occasions.

What you can do is use an older ATX PSU to power the drives and fans with. (you'll need to short out the #13 pin (Green) with the #14 or #16 (Black) pins - then it'll start up w/o the ATX jack being plugged into the MOBO.)

In other words, the motherboard is the only thing that cheap-a$$ CPQ PSU will be attached to.

See if that helps. I second the CMOS clearing as well. It can't hurt anything to try it.

If those don't help, then he may have to just sell it to a friend, or maybe to someone on a forum or dang EBay.