6600gt Moddage

trace

ever since i had this card i wanted to push it and get some nice temps on it...i think i have acheived that! here is the story...

for xmas i got my brand-new shiny XFX 6600GT PCI-E GPU...the temps definetly left something to be desired. it would load at around high-80s to low-90s. i knew i needed to fix that so i took off my OC(was 550/1100) and tried to find ways to cool it. i decided that fans were the way to go. i got a vantec card fan with 2 80mm(i think) fans to blow right on my GPU. also, i got a new sunon case fan @ 50CFM. these pulled my temps down some. i still felt like i could get better temps on this card. so today, i decided to lap it. this was DEFINETLY worth it. i used 600/1000/2000 grit paper. also, i got some new antec formula 5 thermal paste to go on it, and that may bring the temps down even more. it brought my idle waaay down to quite an impressive temp(ss attached):35/31. also, the load temps are quite an improvement over the initial temps: 75C. i think the only way i will screw with this again is if Arctic Cooling comes out with a NV6 or something for the 6600GT's. also, big shoutout to byron for helping me with my first lapping B)

EDIT: Currently running @ 570/1150

EDIT2: My hands probably got about twice as dirty as that somewhere along the line

EDIT3: I am running the 66.93 drivers, would you guys reccomend others? Some of the Omegas ran wierd on my card.

UPDATE: It appears as tho maybe that thermal paste is doing what it should and the load temp is down to 73C. B)

post-67675-1267909607_thumb.jpg

Edited by trace

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey

This kind of goes with trace's post. But While he was lapping his heatsink for ~2rs, I took the time to sand down my cd-rom. Pic is below, Its just about a mirror finish. But since this post is about trace's lapping.... It was pretty smooth, The surface before you could feel the bumps and scratches in the black paint that was on it, and now it is perfectly smooth to touch, but not a mirror finish :-P With my cd-rom I'm torn between leaving it bare metal, or painting it black. I know that if I took some more time with the 2k or 1.5k I could get a very excellent finish, and then clear coat it. But I also want to paint it bc I might paint my case, so Drop me a msg and comment on trace's card experience :-P <3

is there no copper in that heatsink? if there is it might help to lap till it turns brass looking, anyways, nice results, if you are feeling really brave, try lapping the gpu itself too

Why would you lap your optical drive? Unless of course, that's an external drive, cuz otherwise, what would be the point since nobody can ever anything besides the front bezel of an optical drive.

he has a dell :-P But yea, I was just sanding down my optical drive to paint it, and now it started to look pretty sweet, so I pulled out the 2k sand paper, and now its a mirror. I've got a window on the top of my case, so the cdrom is the first thing that you see. So I think i'm gonna do the finishing work 2day and then clearcoat it soon.

ahhhhh, dude, you got a dell......lol

still, my system at stock speeds did quite well, so you should be having fun with that thing ^_^

i dont know, but i dont think ramsinks benefit GDDR3 memory as it runs quite cool, probably more bling that function

How did you get that thing so cool idling? My 6800 runs like 60C idle and 70C load, which aint bad... but it's a copper chunk!!! Really heavy it is! Case temp is somewhere between 25C and 30C according to my probes around the case. The card is saying 40C ambient though, which just aint right?!

gravy: is your >10k 3dmark03 score with your 6600 at stock?! I think it was you anyway..