Are These Unsafe Temps?

maximo

I am have some temp problems in my system. I'm running a P4 2.2 with an MSI 845E MAX board. I recently replaced the obnoxiously loud OEM HSF with a Volcano 7+ to try and cut down on noise levels. I know there not that trusted but before I switched it out I monitored the temps in the bois for a few hours. At idle, cpu 37c-38c, case 24c-25c, fan-4600rpm. With the 7+ at idle on high speed setting I'm getting, cpu 47c-48c, case 31c-32c, fan-6000rpm. I figured that the bios was not reading correctly so I downloaded the mbm monitor an took readings for a few hours. With 7+

in all three speed settings the cpu temp stayed at 48c, (case temps were

between 26-32, fan rpm 3000-6000, depending on speed setting. I used the thermal compound that came with the 7+ when I installed it. I have two 80mm case fans and a dual fan PSU.

Questions?

1. Are these unsafe temps at idle knowing that they will get higher at loads?

2. Maybe I used to much or not enough thermal compound, would this make that much of a temp difference from the OEM HSF readings?

3. Would I get significant drops in temps using AS3?

they're okay. Try reapplying the thermal paste, make sure its uber-thin also: you should use artic silver 3 because its the best thermal goop out there. Make sure that the HSF is seated correctly. IF you scratchred the surface of the hsf or it looks bad then it may need buffing.

When running @ 2.4 my idle temp is 38C... When @ 3.01 idle temp is 45C.... I definitely recommend AS3... Check the position of your system fans [intakes and exhaust] to keep those case temps down. --Best case temp [under current config] 29C...worst [afetr changing positions of fans] 39C.... :ph34r:

Ok so I decided to reinstall the HSF today and see if I applied the paste the wrong way. As I got the HSF off I noticed on the bottom of it there was a square score from the outside edges of the chip, why...and why do I have the feeling you guys are going to tell me something about this I probably dont want to hear. It's pretty noticable from looking and touching it. Well I reinstalled it anyway and found no changes. Tomorrow I will reinstall it again this time with more paste just to see what happens. Also the paste that came with the V7+ says SIL.MORE Taiwan, Is this stuff known to suck or is it decent, obviously it's not as good as AS3, but am I wasting my time. And if I am where is the cheapest place to get AS3? I had an idea, tell me what you think. I was thinking about putting the bigger aluminum OEM heatsink back on but with the Tt fan, if the the OEM sink was getting better temps with only a 4600rpm fan it would probably do even better with the Tt fan and some AS3, or am I just an idiot, what do you guys think...about my questions, not about being an idiot!!!

maximo: maybe you should try new Zalman CNPS6500B-AlCu quiet heatsink or something like that. Btw I have my Celeron Coppermine-T 900 @ 1175 and temp now is 35-37, but was 25-28. Maximal for mine is 45