Game Server

jone00blaze

ok i want to build a game server/ wed server. i know xeons will do just fine for the web part but are xeons a good or bad choice to setup a game server? your thoughts please

for around 12 ppl, your upload would have to be HIGH like around 2-5mbps. my 384k upload on my 3mbps cable lags w/ 5-6 ppl on my house cs server (i made it just to experiement). however i can have around 7 ppl at my house for a lan playing cs on the same external server.

Edited by zigen

for around 12 ppl, your upload would have to be HIGH like around 2-5mbps. my 384k upload on my 3mbps cable lags w/ 5-6 ppl on my house cs server (i made it just to experiement). however i can have around 7 ppl at my house for a lan playing cs on the same external server.

398195[/snapback]

i should be able to pull that off over my schools network . what did your server consist of? if all my friends direct connect to it i should be able to pull it off nicely.

As far as bandwith you shoudl really think about onbaord LAN posibilities, simply because of the latency and bandwith problims. The Actually Xeons should be on, but they need lots of RAM, I hear Asus has this board

http://www.gamepc.com/labs/view_content.asp?id=ncchdl&page=1

That does NOT required registered RAM like other Xeon Boards.

It only have oen onbaord LAN but otherwise its a budget alternative then forking out for highend baords and registered RAM