Satellite Internet

Ghost2520

Well we're 90% sure we're moving within the next month and half or so and no DSL/Cable modem is available in that area! The only thing that is available is satellite internet from verizon.... they say its highspeed internet, but how high speed is it really? Will it be enough to play games like CS:Source or EQ2/WoW? For download speeds as long as I can download files at 150kbps I am fine. Anyone hear have it or know someone who does? :(

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

stay away. friend had it. pinged >800 most of the time. He couldn't game online at all. The download speeds are awesome, kinda. once you hit your limit(i think about 400 mb/hr or so, not for sure) you got cut off. he described it as your available download was a pitcher of water that was filled by a trickling faucet. you could dump out the bucket all at once, but then all your bandwidth was that trickle, > 1 kb/sec. To dl anything of size, you would have to wait for the bucket to fill back up. He hated it from day one. plus the expense of the equipment.

oh god I'm scared now. I'm gonna have to call Comcast and see if they can extend their range out to where we will be moving, its just like this little pocket where they don't have service. Probably a quarter mile away they have service in either direction. :( Whats the best strategy to use on the phone with them? Since they seem to be competitive with other DSL companies (read OCC News) maybe I'll lie and say Verizon offered to extend their service out to use as long as we agreed to subscribe for a year.

Man I feal your pain. I moved about half a mile away from where the DSL line ended and cabel wasn't offering internet yet. It took them 2 and a half years to get out to this area. I called and complained at least 2 or 3 times a month. Funny thing is both cabel and DSL started provideing service in this area within 1 week of each other.

I dont think lieing with help, they know where their competition is moving to, I would call Verizon and Comcast and ask if they plan on moving service to the area.

Edited by evanin

I'm guessing you're a kid and can't change where you're moving?

Shame, I prequalify every place I move now for cable AND dsl just in case. No broadband = teh suck

Lucky I did too. DSL prequalified me and I still couldn't get it installed after I moved. Oh well, 4Mbit cable is better anyway.