• >500mb
    • >1GB
    • >5GB
    • >10GB
    • >15GB
    • >20GB
    • >30GB
    • >50GB

My friend is a DJ and just recently finished ripping all of his CDs to MP3 format. He ripped his approximately 80,000 songs in a 256kbps bitrate. He had to buy two 200GB hard drives to fit all of his stuff. It takes up about 380 GB of space.

He also got a dual layer dvd-burner to help him backup all of his stuff so he doesn't have to rip everything again if he loses a drive. I just bought a 160GB and two 80GB drives, and I'm gonna work on getting most of his music. I currently have around 22 gigs, and in about a week or so, I should be around the 300GB+ range for music. Oh yea, he also organized every one of his MP3s so he could use them with his DJ equipment, so no tedious work for me! :D

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

only movie i that is leagle to download that is professionall made that is still under copy right because you or whoever can get express writtien permtion from Moore for f-911

Under 100mb of MP3s. I listen to internet radio and buy 99% of my vinyl/CDs. Most of the music I listen to is exclusive to vinyl, so mp3s of these artists songs are hard to come by. For more mainstream artists (ie. DJ Shadow, DJ Krush, Coldcut) I purchase their CDs, locally. Supports my local economy and the artist (not that I have anything against p2p.) :) Guess that makes me a freak.

Edit: I have 23 mp3s, for a total of 72.9mb. The songs consist of some really old House of Pain, some DJ Qbert, one DJ Shadow song, a few songs by the Japanese hiphop group KtCC, and finally a few mp3s of William Shatner that my friend sent me. :lol:

Edited by 0kibi

97 Gigs of music here. I've ripped every CD I've ever had, and I keep all my CD's in boxes, and just burn mixed CD's to play, that way I can save my originals. Also included are tons of LP's and cassettes converted into MP3. Mostly for my parents.

Also have 283 Gigs of uncompressed DVD's.

All housed in a file server at my house:

Abit NF7-S Rev. 2

AthlonXP 2400

512 MB PC2700 Kingston Value RAM

Chieftec Dragon Case w/out window

Radeon 9200 Video Card

2x Seagate SATA 7200.8 300 GB HD's (Music and Movies)

WD 40GB Hard drive (OS and misc files)

Wireless Keyboard w/ built in trackball

KVM switch for switching to my monitor if needed

My friend is a DJ and just recently finished ripping all of his CDs to MP3 format. He ripped his approximately 80,000 songs in a 256kbps bitrate. He had to buy two 200GB hard drives to fit all of his stuff. It takes up about 380 GB of space.

He also got a dual layer dvd-burner to help him backup all of his stuff so he doesn't have to rip everything again if he loses a drive. I just bought a 160GB and two 80GB drives, and I'm gonna work on getting most of his music. I currently have around 22 gigs, and in about a week or so, I should be around the 300GB+ range for music. Oh yea, he also organized every one of his MP3s so he could use them with his DJ equipment, so no tedious work for me!  :D

396435[/snapback]

380GB... thats got to be some sort of record! :O *drools* I want more MP3's.

Pfft but the thing is you can fit MASS amounts of MP3's onto relatively small amounts of hard drive space, saving time and its just so easy. I just use winamps library to browse my songs, I use the search field to look for a song in particular, its great :D

here's how it starts. rip all your own cd's. hit up a few friends who DJ. then some more. get a side job to rip an entire nightclub's collection to MP3 (of course keep a "backup" for yourself). by the time the collection is over 200gb you setup an FTP site which requires 1 upload for a download. give out the password to a friend at MSU (michigan state university). wait 2 weeks for someone at comcast to figure it out and go balistic. get the stie shut down. in the end you have close to 500gb of MP3's. work on trimming out the crap and duplicates, sort it, organize it... 4 years later you're down to a neat and trim 350gb or so... and I could take another year of cleaning things up to get it the way I want it... all the while adding MORE music thru Itunes and napster (sorry guys, gone legal lately).

but my MP3 collection is dwarfed by my wife's movie collection. 3.8TB of dvd rips! she's got another 500gb to 1tb at a time tied up in other video editting projects she's got going.

I dont see any need to rip music at a quality over 192kbps. I use 192 just to have that extra little bit of quality, but really I cant see a difference with a file ripped at 256kbps. My friend ripped the evanescence album at 1024kbps, it was a waste of space, couldnt tell the difference between it at 128 and 1024. I mean my speakers arnt the best, but they sure arnt the worst, and I dont notice any difference, so why do it? :huh: