Hanging And Crashing

NCC10281982B

I'm trying to boot overclockix 3.7. The comp boots up until "Looking for CDROM in: /dev/hdc"

I know the cd is fine because I booted from it. I was very happy that i got that far. I used knoppix26 as my cheat code. The comp will hang at "Looking for CDROM in: /dev/hdc" and sometimes boot to a limmited prompt. The cd drive is not spinning at this point. I have beeen through this 3 times.

Is these a way to fix this?

Well since that is past the kernel and on to the RC script type stuff, I would have to say it's probably either your hard disk or CD drive doesn't like being set to DMA mode. How you get around that in Linux though I don't quite know.

That's weird how it sees the cdrom as /dev/hdc...most that I've seen detect it as /dev/cdrom. Anyway, I agree the problem might reside with the DMA mode. When you boot, does it give you a choice of which kernel and configuration settings to use? For example, when I boot of a gentoo livecd I can tell it not to use acpi and all that kind of stuff. Try booting with whatever flag disables dma. (I've never used that distro before, so I don't know exactly what it is) Or, you could also go into your bios and force the cdrom to use PIO mode, just for troubleshooting purposes.

• 2 weeks later...