Sign in to follow this  
Agallion

Hp Kicking Its Customers In The Face

I've been following this thread and decided to do a little investigating...

This is taken directly from HP's site:

Processor

A faster processor supports more efficient operations and applications performance

You can choose one of the options below:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AMD Sempron 3000+ operating at 2.0GHz

AMD Sempron processor 3000+ operating at 2.0GHz. Redefining everyday computing. The latest offering from AMD, the AMD Sempron processor comes loaded with many useful features that allow applications to run better, delivering an improved computing experience. It delivers maximum performance on the applications you use most. Get the productivity-enhancing performance you need for all of your everyday applications. Bring your favorite games and DVDs to life. Make applications work harder. Enjoy responsive performance on your software applications- including those that let you communicate with family and friends. Get more out of the Internet. Browse the Internet quickly and enjoy streaming audio and video that looks and sounds rich, full, and crystal clear.

AMD Athlon XP 3100+ operating at 2.2GHz

AMD Athlon XP3100+ FEATURES:--400MHz Front Side Bus and 512KB L2 Cache. BENEFITS:--Demanding applications require a processor that can keep pace-AMD Athlon XP processor-based systems deliver performance to help increase your productivity. The AMD Athlon XP processor offers results when working with digital media like audio, video, and image files. It also brings digital entertainment like games and DVDs to life with rich, smooth graphics and true to life sound. Tailored for Microsoft® Windows® XP. Featuring QuantiSpeed Architecture for Rapid Execution of Applications--Allows a system to boot and load applications quickly.

AMD Athlon XP 3200+ operating at 2.2GHz

AMD Athlon XP3200+ FEATURES:--400MHz Front Side Bus and 512KB L2 Cache. BENEFITS:--Demanding applications require a processor that can keep pace-AMD Athlon XP processor-based systems deliver performance to help increase your productivity. The AMD Athlon XP processor offers results when working with digital media like audio, video, and image files. It also brings digital entertainment like games and DVDs to life with rich, smooth graphics and true to life sound. Tailored for Microsoft® Windows® XP. Featuring QuantiSpeed Architecture for Rapid Execution of Applications--Allows a system to boot and load applications quickly.

I called AMD's support line, and spoke with a Tech rep first, and he said that it is a definite possiblity that AMD could have manufactured a semi-custom chip for HP. He didn't really know anything for sure, but he said that AMD has done it before and is doing it now, but he didn't know for whom.

Then I spoke with a Tech supervisor, and she told me the same thing. That she didn't know if AMD was manufacturing custom chips for HP, but she said it is a possiblity.

I also asked her about HP's AthlonXP 3100 having the exact same specs as a 3200. She didn't have an answer to that except to say that it might be a mis-label, or maybe a mobile XP.

Hope this helps.

I sell HP's at Best Buy. I have seen those ratings also, and wondered about it. They do give the full specs. They are real AMD chips, but not mainstream. They all have 256 L2 cache, and run at the clock speeds of the normal cpu above them. For example, the XP 3100+ runs at 2.2GHz, but only has 256 L2, therefore it does not run as efficiently as the 3200+ and is labeled 3100+. I assure though, they are AMD CPU's. They must be custom made for HP to cut the bottom line. We sell a 3100+, and a 3200+. The 3200+ cost a little bit more, and performs a little bit better. I don't know why they wouldn't just go with the regular CPU's. Maybe AMD gave them a deal on binned chips.

Sounds like its a toned down version just like the Durons and Celerons, and of course most people don't have a clue and they think that there 3100 will beat an XP3000 oh brother what will HP do next :wacko:

WOw and i thought i was the only one who noticed those funky numbers when i was at work cause all of the other associates said i was dumb and that they were just rugular chips but the numbers just didn't look right :wacko: good thing i havent sold one yet

well hp compaq etc want the cheapest parts so they are probly manufactor defualts kinda like the ati cards 9800 se 9600 se etc thos cards have broken pipe lines they just put se on them and sell them as slower cards. so the chips are probly just refurbs and messed up chips. they underclocked them to get them to run and make hp happy on prices