How To Change Your Motherboard

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
This is a simple mistake that I used to make. DO NOT press "r" immediately for repair using th "recovery console." Wait until your install disk looks for previous installations of Windows. It will show your Windows partition and give you the option to repair or install a fresh copy of Windows and format the whole thing again. It is at this point that you press "r" to repair. It will then skip the formatting and install Windows back to the latest verson or service pack that you have on your disk. I highly recommend a slipstreamed disk with SP2.

Well said and should have helped the vast majority.

For those who want a step-by-step guide with heaps of pics of the process for XP or XP64 here is the guide I have followed on 3-4 occasions now, but be warned you lose all updates and will have to update your service packs after the "Reinstall" has occurred unless you have created a streamlined install with SP2 or later on it as Chavalcito pointed out earlier:

Langa Letter: XP's No-Reformat, Nondestructive Total-Rebuild Option

Hope that helps but please dont shoot the messenger if it doesn't work for you.

Read it 2-3 times "clearly" and then take action so you are confident of the instructions!

Edited by Boldeagle

• 3 months later...

Hey i was looking into this very thing and i think there is another alternative called Shadow protect software from storage craft.. it claims that you can install you system in any computer in bare metal condition.. i am going to look into it a little more.. works with all windows platforms..

http://www.storagecraft.com/products/ShadowProtectDesktop/

A little pricey at 80 dollars.. but for me i think it will be worth it as i have up graded my motherboard 3 times in the last 7 months.. UGH

• 11 months later...
Hm seems very informative

I have one question though

will this work with an OEM copy of windows vista? or using the OEM disk?

Vista OEM's are tied to the motherboard, so replacing it, means replacing the vista copy as well. So not really, no

I've just changed my motherboard and CPU, drastically, and my OEM Windows Vista Ultimate accepted without any problems.

Didn't even had to put in the installation disk. Just re-entered my original key on "system information" window and it is the same as always. (had to install all the new drivers, but no problems there either).

In my case at least, OEM windows vista worked perfectly. :rolleyes:

We had significant system failure and many parts had to be replaced from my old gaming system (mobo, LGA775, DDR2 etc), due to the expense of trying to maintain the original P4 system for the missus. As stated most OEM OS are tied to the motherboard but we rang Intel support and said we had a major virus and had to do a complete re-install, they gave us a new product key over the phone as the old one was not working. Some may say this is wrong but why should we have paid good money for an OS and then have it become obsolete when we have something die?!? So old Billy Gates can become richer?!? At the time I had lost my job and the missus was at uni so we couldn't afford to pay for a new OS (AUD$135 for XP32) but she really needed a PC as she was studying "off-campus". Seriously why should you have to repurchase an OS if you have a "legitimate" copy that is only being installed on the one system, it is a model of greed by MS for the OS. At least they allow the re-installation of Office and on upto 3 machines without this problem.

Edited by Boldeagle

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...