Device Manager ?

Cyberbeer

Was going through XP's device manager and noticed that 'Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller' has a big yellow question mark beside it and is listed under 'Other Devices'.

So I scroll down to 'Universal Serial Bus Controllers', open it and this is what I find:

Intel®82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D2

Intel®82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D4

Intel®82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D7

Intel®82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24DE

USB Composite Device

USB Root Hub

USB Root Hub

USB Root Hub

USB Root Hub

I'm not sure I understand why theres a ? mark then my computer registers 4 USB controllers. Could someone help me out with this?

My USB controller was under other devices as well, but I fixed it though. Here's how I did it:

1. Under other devices, double click the USB Controller

2. Click the "Reinstall Driver" tab

3. Do not choose to update via Windows Update, instead search for it on PC.

4. After that, choose the "Recommended" setting when reinstalling driver

5. After USB Controller installation, USB controller should be recognized.

Again, this is how I did it. This might not work for you, but who knows, it's worth a shot.

Try uninstalling the devices in device manager. After uninstallation, restart and let your system autodetect the USB ports. If it asks for drivers, provide the drivers (usually motherboard disks come with all the necessary drivers (not latest drivers) needed.

I tried to just reinstall the driver and the wizard said it was unable to locate usbehci.sys in Windows/Temp folder. So I popped in my Asus disk and find the file under usb2/Win2k/EHCI Package. I let it install and it moved it out of unknown and into the USB devices with a ! on it. The device reads as:

Intel® 82801EB USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 24DD

Since I just reinstalled Windows I am hoping SP1 will fix the !, if not I guess I'll be back here. Thanks for the help.