Your Xbox Needs Service

markiemrboo

We just got this, this morning, when Dad went to turn it on. Any ideas? We're determined not to have to spend however much it is to have it sent to..... where ever :)

It's unchipped/unmodded in any way.

Not that I know of, no. It seems hard disk related. It's got an 05 in the corner, that message in several languages. I tried a different IDE cable, same thing. If I run it without the hard disk it stays at the xbox screen for a while then eventually comes up with 07, if I run it without the CD drive connected it comes up with 11.

Is there a way to replace the hard disk without it being chipped? Like.. just buy another locked hard disk and put it in? Would that work or is it more complicated than that?

UPDATE: I just stuck the hard disk in my DragonFly machine. BIOS detected it fine and I can read back the data on the hard disk with dd, eg `dd if=/dev/ad2 of=/xbox_disk_dump bs=1024 count=100`

Somehow it's become unlocked on it's own!?! Is there any (simple) way to find the password on the xbox and relock it? Without chips and stuff?

error 7 is hard drive...gimme a minute and let me look up error messages.

EDIT: 5 - kernel - HDD not locked (retail bioses require the hd to be locked)

DOH i was wrong. 7 is HD failure. do you have a friend with another xbox you could thow yours in? even better, do you have a friend with a modded xbox? if you do, take your HD plug it into his. it should boot with the hacked bios. then load evox or another dash with FTP, find...doh i forgot. you need EEPROM from your xbox. what abou tmodding your xbox and fixing it that way?

also, im not sure if there is a way to find the PW w/o a hacked app. look around on xbox-scene.com. you will find the answer there

Edited by HazzzMatMan

Yeah I figured the error codes. It was error 5 coming up, the others were what came up if I unplugged things. I confirmed it was unlocked by sticking the hard disk in my DragonFly machine and reading data back off it. If it was locked I wouldn't have been able to read from it.

Went ahead and ordered a chip. Just now fitted that (easy!!!), hit lock hd, disabled the chip and all is great now!

Good old Microsoft. We saved ourself ~