Sign in to follow this  
shmitty

Air Vs. H20

The title says it all. Is it truely worth spending the money. Running on air and OC'd to 2420.2 I get temps 32-42. You can read my PC specs below.

for the 64's i dont really think it helps that much but for older xps it was great i can o/c the same with air and water . but dont let what i say b the deciding factor everyone shoud try water . maybe ur money would b better spent on a phase change system

2.6ish is about the limit on air for A64's. 2.7-2.8 is normal on water. Water Cooling is very very worth it. My CPU idles at 69F. I forget what load is, I think it's 70 something. Try that on air.

i htink ur 1 of the lucky 1's most everyone i talk to get 2.5 on air and water . i guess unless ur just a better o/cer then me and the ppl i have been talking to 2.6-2.7 isnt the normal o/c 2.5 i would say is more avrage .

I think if I was going to go any more extreme than air it would be straight to phase change, one of those pre built ones that can run 24/7 would be nice hehe.

The title says it all.  Is it truely worth spending the money.  Running on air and OC'd to 2420.2 I get temps 32-42.  You can read my PC specs below.

386299[/snapback]

I've been there and I would have to say.. not really. It was too much hassle (for me). Constantly paranoid..... etc etc. Too much space. Air for me.

jumping from air to phase change isnt that much more money i mean if u find a good deal online i have spend way over 500 now on cooling cpu's and i am done with 1/2 assing it i am getting a phase change as soon as i get paid next . i am gona spend like 400 cdn for a mach1 . new there around 750 + 15% tax . at least thats what they cost up here in canada where i live

jumping from air to phase change isnt that much more money i mean if u find a good deal online i have spend way over 500 now on cooling cpu's and i am done with 1/2 assing it i am getting a phase change as soon as i get paid next . i am gona spend like 400 cdn for a mach1 . new there around 750 + 15% tax . at least thats what they cost up here in canada where i live

386333[/snapback]

I think some of those asetek vapochill kits are a bit cheaper than that (around $600 AU, which would be about... $500 canadian I think). I wouldnt mind one but I need to save for a car :P

As os now i'm a fan of air cooling but only because i never really put the needed time and money into a watercooling setup i just bought a koolance and i'm like alright water cooling but it didn't perform well and i ended up going back to air on my A64. But i am very interested in going phasechange i love the idea of my cpu being cooled to the -30c that would be great.

the diff i got between air (xp-120) and water (resarator) was very small like 2-3 c and some ppl r gona say the resarator sucks but it dosent it ran cooler then alot of these guys water setups high 20's for this 3200 of mine and now with the 120 i am just breaking into the 30's all idle of corse but its cold in my house being winder and all and on the top floor of a 23 story building . the phase change will b the biggest diff for the money . just think of it this way u spend 200 on water or 400 on phase change . the water might not help u at all where as the phase change will for sure . if u can afford it i would say go for it . only thing i am not sure about is leaving it running all the time compared to a water set up .

urmm, with phase change you need to insulate your system against condensation...so it can get a tat messy and troublesome there... as for watercooling, its just a much more silent way to cool your pc..i dont think any of us really need watercooling unless your chip is a prescott or you want silent cooling or you want to hit that extra few mhz..other than that, its alot of money investment into watercooling..however having your pc watercooled is much cooler than air cooling.. hehehe

phase change is only for those who really wanna hit it far with their chips...or has too much money to spend on :P IMO i wont go into it even if i have the money...its just brings away the fun of OCing your cpu and yet trying to achieve those hard to reach temps :) maybe watercooling but with chilled water would be nicer than just straight phase change