Sign in to follow this  
CoolMaster

Who Has Better Video Cards (quality Built Wise)

[quote name='RedDragon' date='Jan 3 2005, 03:01 AM']ATi hands down, better image quality and driver support, and good company all around.
use to be an Nvidia fan up until the FX series then switched to ATi have not regreted it all  :D
[right][snapback]386273[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

better what support ? r ppl really doing drugs here . i am really not trying to b a flamer but where did u get this info . everyone and there aunt sally has had a prob with ati drivers at 1 time or another . infact drivers r the main reason i am a nvidia user . and when i called them to tell them i had a driver issue they told me too bed i would have to wait . i called back and back and got the same response . i know u must b thinking i had some old peice of crap that wasnt worth supporting , but no i had the flagship 9700 pro the first day it was avalible to me . and i am not some guy off in china . i live down the street from ati's headquarters . i had a a7v8x mobo and it wasnt supported at all . when they came out it was intel or nothing . so again where did u ever hear that they have good drivers or that they were a good company?

[quote name='k1e1v1i1n' date='Jan 1 2005, 03:57 AM']where did u hear that nividia wasnt strict ? that would b nuts if they let anythign go out the door that wasnt a great product.
[right][snapback]384788[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

XFX. 'Nough said.

k1e1v1i1n - ATI has better drivers. I recently switched to my 6800ultra from an XT PE(not by choice, mind you). ATi's drivers are better. Much better.

how r they better cause this time u found 1's that work for ur game ? there all together bad . most dont work for all the cards they say there for and others just crap out in games alltogether . i know i have only owned 3 nvidia cards and 2 nforce mobo's but i am telling u ati's drivers r no good at all . i have owned a ati 4 meg , 8 meg , 32 meg rage 3d , 7500 aiw , and then a 9700 pro . i htink i know what i am talking about . my buddy right now has a 8500 pro and a 9600 xt . i see them every day they make bad drivers and the coustomer servis sucks .

oh ya and xfx isnt nvidia . i am sure nvidia dosent controle all the companys that use there chipsets . same as ati Edited by k1e1v1i1n

Ati had driver problems a VERY VERY long time ago. Theyr drivers are better than Nvidias now. Never had a problem or heard anyone having any problems.

well where r u hearing all these nvidia probs to say that atis r better cause i hear ati probs all the time right here and in my own house . u try and get a 7500 aiw to work today . i will bet just about anyhtign that u can get a card juat as old to work easyer with nvidia drivers .

Im not talking about old cards.

But you said that you don't know if the nvidias drivers work on old cards, but you say that Ati sucks becouse their drivers don't work on old cards......

no i do know they will work . have u been on there driver page latly it has alot to choose from ati site always had like 1 choice and if it didnt work well u had to go hunting . i guess i havent looked in a wial so i will now . but it took forever for me to get a driver that would work with my 7500 aiw a wial ago and the 4 meg cards forgetabout it .

i just checked and theres only 1 choice for radion . i am willing to bet that it will only work on 9xxx cards and maybe , maybe the 8500 thats it .

this is my first blue star post Edited by k1e1v1i1n

[quote name='Siebenburgen' date='Jan 3 2005, 05:22 AM']i have a "BUILT BY ATI" ATI RADEON 9800 PRO 256 MB, so yes, they build their own cards.
[right][snapback]386300[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

As far as I know, ATi contracts card manufacturing to Sapphire. And as far as ATi's drivers go, I think they're not too bad. OpenGL performance has certainly improved. However, the frequency of ATi's driver releases doesn't actually mean the support is any better. ATi routinely drops driver builds just because they're commited to a monthly schedule, but every monthly driver build is not some gigantic leap forward. So, get your weekly Nvidia beta's (which aren't usually that different build to build), or get your monthly Catalyst (not that different build to build either).

Drivers for both companies seem to have the "fix one thing, break another" problem.

Ati has better quality as far as teh cards being released. I have yet to hear anyone complain about an out of the box radeon however time to time ati has driver issues.. Nvidia on the other hand isn't too strict *cough xfx cough* but has better driver support.

Who makes the better cards these days is hard to say but right now I would buy a newly released ati that hasn't been benched before a comperable nvidia due to the screwusps that were the 5200, 5600, and 5800's.

Overall though both card companies are good so long as you avoid the cheapo nvidia contractors.

[quote name='k1e1v1i1n' date='Jan 3 2005, 02:31 PM']no i do know they will work . have u been on there driver page latly it has alot to choose from ati site always had like 1 choice and if it didnt work well u had to go hunting . i guess i havent looked in a wial so i will now . but it took forever for me to get a driver that would work with my 7500 aiw a wial ago and the 4 meg cards forgetabout it .
i just checked and theres only 1 choice for radion . i am willing to bet that it will only work on 9xxx cards and maybe , maybe the 8500 thats it .
this is my first blue star post
[right][snapback]386400[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Seems not. I downloaded the radeon driver from their site a while ago, the only one.. you know.. works fine with the ATI 7000 piece of poop in my brothers computer. Not troubles installing. Had a rage3d something or other before and that worked fine too. Maybe you're doing something wrong somewhere. I've had no issues with it. I've had no issues with my nVidia card either. My next purchase will be an ATI card though.

EDIT: Oh, here you go. A little bit of reading can do wonders.

[url="http://www.overclockersclub.com/link/?http://www2.ati.com/drivers/Catalyst_412_release_notes.html#168982"]http://www2.ati.com/drivers/Catalyst_412_r...tes.html#168982[/url] scroll up a bit from that and there's a nice table showing you what's supported by that driver and what isn't.

RADEON

its all preferance ive never used an ati card dont really have a want to never had a prob with nvidia cards so im going to use an nvidia card! it just preferance there is no best card its not like procecors fx-55 hands downs beats intels ee chips, and im just saying that from benchmarks that ive seen, but nvidia ati are back and forth you cant say ati owns nvidia you cant say nvidia owns ati Edited by ThunderChicken

Well said well said indeed
my 9800xt is my love anyways, it still runnin on me

I wonder what the average life expentancy of a video card is?
anyone know?