P4 32e Ocing

zone99

I have a P4 3.2e (CO stepping), I just bought a xp-90, tornado, and vantec nexus controller. I have 1gb(2x512) PQI Platinum that runs at 2-2-2-5 pc3200. My motherboard is the asus p4p800 deluxe. Right now the Tornado is so loud that I have to set it to the lowest setting, but i will go higher if i have to. Without ocing my cpu temp is 39-40...stock vcore and all, but I have the agp/pci locked at 66/33...I want to be able to get it to around 3.6-3.8, i dont know if that is possible...and if it isn' what it the highest i should go?

i've seen the 3.2e over 4GHz... you may need to pump up the vcore and tornado and will definitely need to loosen the ram... but it should be within reach...

prescotts oc well, they just need a hell of a lot of cooling...

ok so i should keep giving a little more fsb..untill my temperature is what?...60 while idle...?What is the highest temperature i want while my computer is idle, and while my computer is on full load?

*edit* would it be stupid to right away move my fsb to something like 230 then from there increment it 5 each time? and maybe run prime95 for around 10-12 hours?

Edited by zone99

I have a 3.2e in mine and im running it at 3600 all the time, my idle is 31c the highest I ever seen was 39c I have a TT 112 tower with a 92 MM tornado on there, I tryed for more but something in my system dont like it I think its probably my ram, good luck with your tho.

I have a 3.2e in mine and im running it at 3600 all the time, my idle is 31c the highest I ever seen was 39c I have a TT 112 tower with a 92 MM tornado on there, I tryed for more but something in my system dont like it I think its probably my ram, good luck with your tho.

wow right now with mine at stock my idle temp is 39-41...and i haven't seen it about 42...but if i oc'ed it to 3.8, then it would be even hotter......

*edit*

I am using asus probe for my temperature readings, is that an accurate program....or is there something that reads it better?

Edited by zone99

If u have a prescott then u shouldnt go over around 1.55 vcore. and just b/c u have a xp90 dosent mean your going to get cool temps. case air flow is just as important as the heatsink u need the ambient room temp to be exactly the same as in side the case. from the sound of it. it seems as if u dont have any air flow ( and if u do seems as if the case fans are not pushing enough air for the size of the case ) also asus probe reads low. so i would check the bios temps and see what it says just to be on the safe side i believe its under advance hardware moniter. if u dont have a side intake on the case then i would suggest a little modding and putting atleast a 50+ cfm fan in the side. and have it mounted directly in front of the heatsink fan and funnel it from fan to fan. also are u using ac5 ?

If u have a prescott then u shouldnt go over around 1.55 vcore.  and just b/c u have a xp90 dosent mean your going to get cool temps. case air flow is just as important  as the heatsink u need the ambient room temp to be exactly the same as in side the case. from the sound of it. it seems as if u dont have any air flow ( and if u do seems as if the case fans are not pushing enough air for the size of the case ) also asus probe reads low. so i would check the bios temps and see what it says just to be on the safe side i believe its under advance hardware moniter.  if u dont have a side intake on the case then i would suggest a little modding and putting atleast a 50+ cfm fan in the side.  and have it mounted directly in front of the heatsink fan and funnel it from fan to fan. also are u using ac5 ?

I have an xp90 with the tornado fan, and yes i have a blowhole right next to my fan, it is not 50cfm..but something like 19...but i also have a blow hole on the top of my case ...and i am blowing air on the back into my case. All the fans are like 19cfm, but my tornado.

*edit*

Also my tornado fan....should it be blowing air into the heatsink or away from the heat sink...i can't tell a difference in temperature, and right now it is blowing into the heatsink

Edited by zone99

should be blowing air on to the heatsink. air is suppose to blow over the fins so it cools them. u probly wont notice a differance at idle temps but it will stablize the temps better blowing over them, when temps start to rise. i would probly replace the side fan with a little better one. i would replace it with a 92 and hook it to the fan controler. then u could turn it down when u was runing at idle temps pretty much. is the air coming out of the blowhole warm air or cool air. if it s warm air u know u have a airflow problem.