The Easiest Way?

tarkins

What is the easiest way to configure a network with these computers:

1- Win XP home (I have the cd)

2- Win 98 se (I have the cd)

3- Win 98 (I have the cd)

4- Win 95 (I lost the cd :unsure: )

Don't tell me to put XP on each computer, I know it is the easiest way but the 2-3-4 comp can't take it (too old!).

I thought to go manually, install TCP/IP protocol + give IP address... But I have a problem with the #4 comp (no cd so I can't install the correct TCP/IP).

Is there a magic tool in XP that can help me?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Well, its pretty easy. Go buy a router, hook ur net connection into it and all ur comps into it. You just gotta set it to where it obtains the ip address' automatically. File sharing..thats a different story. I know that in xp, to share a folder you just have to right click on the foler and click share folder. something like that..im not quite sure about 95,98 and 2k.

Bah.. routers are expensive..

Hook the XP box up as the main box.. set all the Comps boxes.. to automaticly retreive IPs..

On the XP box Open network neighborhood.. right click go to properitys on the LAN config.. go to.. the last tab.. and tell it to share this connection..

and then you have to set all the other comps to connect though a LAN

and walla.. ur all set..

Bah.. routers are expensive..

Well, you'll need a hub or a switch anyway (several network cards will cost even more).... and you can find a router with 4 fort switch for $70 (and even cheaper on ebay).

btw, you can install linux on one comp and make it dhcp server ;-)

Ok thanks guys. I'll probably buy a router.

And I won't have any problem with the win 95 comp cause I'll change it :P . I'll probably buy a Duron 1.3 or something like that (it is an office comp), and I'll install XP on it.

buying a router is a good thing but can some explain how that solves his problem??? isnt his problem just w/ the win95 machines settings?

well anyway he said he's changin the OS which will fix it...

if you wanna stay w/ win95 (god knows why....) but ya you can probly find it online....