Fedora 2

HomeFry

Just installed fedora core 2 today, was wonderin where i might be able to get ati 9000 mobile driver for it...even ati doesnt have it on there site, and also how to install it. Kinda new to linux, so might have to walk me thru it =p

If ATI doesn't provide a driver for it than it is unsupported.

ATI will not give out a driver source to the public for people to build on, so the only other driver out there is the 'radeon' driver, and as I have experianced that particular driver doesn't give Direct Rendering / 3d Acceleration support..

Can't you use DRI for the older cards...

http://dri.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/moin.cg...ategoryHardware

Open source 3D acceleration is available on all Radeons up to and including the 9250 (rv280). The 7800/rv200 and below are supported by the radeon DRI driver; the 8500 through 9250 are supported by the r200 DRI driver. Both r200 and radeon DRI drivers use the radeon DRM driver.

3D support for r300 based cards (9500 and above) is only available from [WWW]ATI's binary linux driver

:P

You are most likely stuck with using a VESA driver :( nVidia is really the only Linux friendly video card. ATi doesn't like Linux people that much...

Kinda. ATi just has slooow driver support for linux. Ditto on the nVidia comment.

However, if you are determined to use ATi (like I am..) you will have to get the updated drivers through ATi's web site. After installed, you can use fglrx config utils that install with the drivers to generate the XF86Config file. However, if you run Fedora, like myself, you will have to cut and paste the pertinant video card settings from the generated XF86Config to the xorg.conf file.

Also take note that there are some nasty issues with running a dual head setup with ATi cards, and your 'puter will most-likely hang if rhgb is still enabled on boot. I have gobbs of information on that if you happen to go that route. It also has alot to do with what version if xfree86 that you run too. This is a hot topic on bugzilla for people with my type of setup.

Sorry, got a bit carried away (distracted...) on my last post.. :)

This site is not for n00bs, soory. However, the coolness in linux is the ability to actually get your hands dirty trying to get things working the way -you- want. Also, this is a site that is actually based around ACPI vs. APM but it does have a link to some radeon drivers that should help.

http://www.sas.upenn.edu/~vbraun/computing/T41/power.html