Sign in to follow this  
overclocknewb

My New Card Will Be Here Tomorrow

I picked up the Gigabyte Geforce 6800 GT 256MB DDR3. I'm dying to see what this puppy can accomplish in Half-Life 2 and Doom 3. I have a feeling that I'm about to find my 6 year old Gateway monitor very lacking.

Gah you suck :P

Getting the Gift cards for Christmas from my family to help me pay for the 6800GT that I want - . - lol. Have fun :)

nice! i am constantly battling with myself to either wait or just get one. aaaah, cant stand the pressure, aaah

-drew

We have jobs Pine... Join the club of *BST donators and you get a shiny new check with your name on it :P

It's not like we're all getting a new X800 XT every other day, you're just seeing different people posting when they get their new stuff....

*Blood, Sweat, and Tears

This card is replacing my current Gainward Golden Sample Geforce 6800 128 in an attempt to solve a hardware compatibility problem I've been having. I'm giving the old card to my brother in law for Christmas to help kick start his new computer build. The new card wasn't cheap by any means, but it gave me the perfect excuse to swap out the old card. I just happened to have the money to do it right now; it's not like I usually do. I'll post pics of it pre and post install tonight.

I also recall reading that the GT cards can be OC'd to Ultra speeds, and with the Coolbits registry hack, the pipeline count can be increased from 8 to 12. Is this true in any of your experiences?

EDIT: Booya! I just got it! This thing weighs a ton, first off, but it's nowhere near as wide as my 128. It isn't too pretty outside the box, but I can't wait to see this thing all lit up in blue when I have it installed.

Edited by overclocknewb

Ummm, 6800 GTs already have 16 pipelines. Much the same as their "Ultra" brethren. So I wouldn't worry about "increasing" it to 12. =)

Uh, yeah! I knew that. I was just....testing you.

you actually got me to laugh a little too loud at work overclocknewb, I hope you're happy :P

Just push up the numbers for the mem and core to those of an Ultra... AFAIK the difference is minimal ;)