Sempron

I have a Sempron 3100+. I'm currently clocking the bus at 245 instead of 200. It's perfectly stable with the stock voltage and heatsink, even the hot weather were now getting doesn't worry it. It only rises from 41 at rest to 47

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a Sempron 3100+. I'm currently clocking the bus at 245 instead of 200.

What is your multiplier set at? Are you able to change the multiplier? Heres what my problem is. I was so succesfull at overclocking an Athlon 1700+ that I havn't been paying much attention to whats going on with the newest CPU's. I read something a while back that hinted that a Barton core Athlon had the multiplier locked solid. So I'm wondering if the Sempron is the same way. I have one of my mobo's unlocked with the windshield defogger repair stuff and I'm wondering if that is going to unlock the multiplier on a Sempron. That mobo is an MSI KT4 Ultra. The one I'm using as my main computer is a Biostar M7NCG 400 mobo and I was able to change the multiplier without unlocking anything. If I'm unable to change the multiplier I might as well stick with what I've got. My 1700+ in the Biostar is clocked at 2004 Mhz right now.

Altern

p.s. The Biostar is a nForce2 chipset and I have 2 256MB sticks of RAM. In case anyone was wondering.

Edited by Altern

I haven't touched the multiplier and i don't think it can be increased.

I think socket a Semprons are just xp Athlons with a new name but the 754 Sempron has the upside of a smaller cache than the Athlons making them easier to keep cool. the downside of course is they have less bang.

Mines plugged into a Gigabyte k8ns board which being a nf3-250 chipset allows me to lock the pci bus, making overclocking pretty dang easy.

I've recently increased the ram from 512 to 1024Mb and ran into some memory problems. Because i've had to reduce the ram bus from 200 down to 166 mhz to allow the ram speed when overclocked to return to about 200mhz the motherboard defaulted to 166mhz timings which the ram couldn't cope with. I've had to manually set the timings back to what it can cope with at 200mhz. I must buy fancier ram than the cheapest sometime, there must be gains to be had with better ram.

I'm very conservative but i've read and have no doubt that the Sempron 3100+ will clock at 2.5 ghz rather than my conservative 2.2 or the stock 1.8 but i think i'll upgrade the cooler before attempting it. This time of year it's common for my computer room to be 35C and that makes things a little harder for coolers to cope with.

I'm the same way with memory. I just buy the cheap stuff and hope I get lucky, which I have. I have all my computers memory set at CAS2.0 with a little overclocking on some of them. One of these days I'm going to buy some good RAM.

If you decide to try to adjust your multiplier be sure to let us know what happens.

Altern

• 3 weeks later...

i happen to get a hold of a sempron 2200+ the thing is when i oc it.. raising the fsb.. when rebooted.. the default clock speed returns to default.. anyone with the saem problem with a 2200+ sempron??

I"ve heard the 3100+ OC's like a beast. Everyoen I've seen has got it very high. The only this I would say is that 754 is a much bett erplatfor then the old XP socket. It's dieing, 754 will be aroundfor awhile and leave you with good upgrade choices.

Get an Athlon Mobile. The best $100 I've ever spent. I bought a 2600 mobile a week or two ago, and I've OC'ed it to 2.4GHz for the moment, and it runs circles around my standard Barton 2600 OC'ed to 2.3 GHz. I don't know what the deal is, since I'm running the same speed FSB as the old chip (400 MHz), and only 100Mhz higher in clock speed, but my game performance all around has improved dramatically.

ok heres the deal with the semprons (if im correct) they are NOT renamed chips they are a hole new chip all together. The 3100 is not a a64 chip with the 64 bit dissabled the chip was never intended to be 64 bit. That includes all the semprons. they were mainly made to replace the older xp's and go aginst the cellys.

the 3100+ oc like crazy to. 2.5 on air i read once!! its a hella crazy budget chip

correct me if im rong.