3mbps = ~300kbps?

Mad Cow

Yesterday I posted how excited I was about getting the 3Mbps DSL connection, but today I start downloading some linux iso files (600+MB), and I am still getting my old 300KBps download speeds. Shouldn't I be getting more? I am behind a US Robotics ethernet router, and am running Download accelerator plus (does this really help speeds?). The only other thing that is using the connection is my brother instant messaging people, not much bandwidth. I tested my connection from speed.fastaccess.com, and my reported speed did jump from ~700Kbps to 3Mbps, but I am not seeing any download gains. Any suggestions or is this what I should be getting?

How did you ever get 300KBps dl speeds on a 700kbps connection? The speed for that connection should have been about 85KBps or so. 300KBps is about right for a 3Mb connection. 3Mbps = 3000Kbps/8b = 375KBps. Real world speeds would be about 300KBps depending on the server you are downloading from.

Check this linkage to test your connection speed. The speed in parenthesis is what your dl speed should handle from a good server.

is it normal to get 650kb downloads with roadrunner(local cable internet company)? and thats not half if it. i have 3 other computers on the network also d/ling but there only go at 200kb but the thing is im doing all this at the same time