Sign in to follow this  
waterlou

Nvidia Geforce 5500 Fx

Hey folks -

What's been your experience w/ this card? Got mine for a good price (eVGA) but so far, I am scoring REAL low on 3D2001 marks (6800). I have a great setup (A64 3200 NC, Asus K8V DX, and Nanya RAM) ...

My OC on the card is currently set to 305 x 475 through CoolBits.

Thanks!

sorry to say it but this card straight up sucks. The FX's 5xxx were all a complete failure IMO. you would have been much better off with a radeon 9600xt. But since u did get the fx5500. This is what you can do, sell it and get a 6600gt, sorry if i sound mean but you cant do much to improve the performance. The card is horrible.

The card sucks, but its still strange. It scores the same as my old Geforce 4 MX440 which should be equal to a 5200Fx..

the nvidia lines of 5200,5600,5700,5500 sux so bad...and the 5900's and above were decent. i used to have a fx5600 256mb till i got my free 9800pro and my fps in doom3 went up from 20 (Standing still) on 640x480 LOW RES to 60 (capped) on 1024x768 Ultra high res. lol and my 5600 gave me a 1300 on 3dmark 03 and now i have close to 6250 lol sorry to say that card blows

:withstupid: get yourself a newer radeon of the 9600 or above! you will notice the difference, esp if you can find a 9800pro 256bit, 128mb...

Thanks guys. I can't believe the price of graphics cards is so out of proportion to CPUs. It just seems whacked that you can fork down $400 for a card. I put together my machine for a heck of a lot less than that! It it "rips" through just about anything.

I don't think I want to throw more than $100 into a graphics card since I just don't game all that much. Maybe I will splurge later on. It seems to be running DOOM3 just fine - even better since I OC'd it.

Yeah well my 960oo pro play Doom3 just fine, intil u try it on a 9700 pro, or a 9800 pro, and i dont have friends with lots of cash to buy a 6800 so idk about that but i can only imagine. Your missing out on alot, trust me lol.

Ok - like I said in my other post ... post I bought a 9600XT (128MB, 128 bit interface). Looks like 3d marks should go up a bit over my FX5500... but now I am realizing that for $20-30 more I could have gotten a 9700 XT or 9800 and that would've been far superior. So we'll see - should atleast be a bit step up from my current score of 6470!

Cheers -

Jer

i own a fx5500 (@335/500, 256mb ram) and yeh it sucks. but ppl here are being freaking ruthless. it handles games like full spectrum warrior, max payne 2, vice city, and tons of other games at the highest settings. just because it can't handle doom3 @ 100fps doesn't mean its total trash. i mean i only paid 83$ for it. i wasn't expecting anything more for that price. so lay off!

oh..and something is wrong if you cant get it to produce better scores than a mx.

Edited by tharealmegaman

i own a fx5500 (@335/500, 256mb ram) and yeh it sucks. but ppl here are being freaking ruthless. it handles games like full spectrum warrior, max payne 2, vice city, and tons of other games at the highest settings. just because it can't handle doom3 @ 100fps doesn't mean its total trash. i mean i only paid 83$ for it. i wasn't expecting anything more for that price. so lay off!

oh..and something is wrong if you cant get it to produce better scores than a mx.

So what do you suggest it is? You are not the first person to say my scores are low. But I am running a A64 3200, have 512MB of RAM at 2-3-3-6 and have the card OCd at 300/475 (anything higher and it bombs)...

Not that it really matters since I have the 9600XT coming, let's just hope its not a hardware issue somewhere else!