Processor

zep_54

Hi everyone, iv'e been working alot and havent really been keeping up with the latest and greatest, heck im like 6 months behind... :withstupid:

Anyways i need to decide what kind of cpu im going to be running in the laptop im gunna go looking for. I want to be able to do my normal gaming, mohaa, nfsu2, and half life 2, the games should run smooth with a 9700 in there, i just wanna know if im going to need a AMD64, or a Pentium, or a Centrino? I dont even know where to begin, i just know i want to have a battery that isnt a ###### i want it to last a while, but i wanna play these games and such to, can anyone suggest a processor that could work for me, im ok for all price ranges, providing im not spending 5000 on a laptop... :D

:typing:

The Dell 8600 easily hits 7 hours if you just let it idle, and about 2 1/2 hours folding. Not so gamer friendly though.

As it is, Centrino is the only way to go for battery life. The AMD mobiles and the P4 Mobiles don't even get close.

So, since I know Dell, For $2,800 (Incl. Shipping) you can get the attached image in a laptop.

Or, for $3,000 you can get the same laptop with instead,

2.0ghz P-M (Same as/sometimes better than - AMD64 3000+)

512MB RAM

And a Nicer Screen (Resolution of 1600 x 1200 instead of 1024x768)

If you can, go for the second one, it will PWN the first one in all but heavy duty Video editing. All in Canadian $$$ as well :)

If you wanted great gaming performance or even just overall great performance the amd64 would be the way to go as it also beats the p4 in battery life. Do you really plan on gaming without being plugged in for more than 2-3 hours? If you really just want incredible battery life and pretty decent performance then centrino is the way to go. Also keep in mind for the future, amd64 will be compatible with the future 64bit software. P4's pretty much use up the battery fairly quick, although they do perform pretty well.

I have an alienware with a p4 3.4ghz and it runs quite fast, although I would rather be running on an amd64 instead. (More than processor power was factored into my decision on which laptop to get.) I personally would pick from one of Hypersonic's laptops, not sager's. The only reason I say that is because they are built with the same hardware but Hypersonic has more options.

For an overall vote, I would say to go with the amd64 (like a 3400 or 3700) from Hypersonic.

If you really just want incredible battery life and pretty decent performance then centrino is the way to go.

Pretty Decent? a 2.6ghz Dothan outperforms a AMD64 4000+. As far as gaming, they're equal, but video editing and battery life the Pentium M beats the A64