Prescotts, Whats So Wrong With Them?

Ok I have a 2.8 D celeron, YES YES I KNOW CELERONS SUCK, lol hey but I like it

anyways it's a prescotts core, and I idle around 37 C for my cpu(i have a coolermaster jet 4 on it)

but whats so bad about prescotts? I mean do they really suck that bad, or is it just because they run hot?

there is nothing wrong with them, but intel stuck so many transistors in there. Twice the number of transistors are in a NW chip and those get crazy hot. if you can belive this intell has made their own Theory sort of speak. Its called Moores Law and it states that the number of transistors in a chip will double roughly every 2 years

intell just wanted to keep up on their PR so they made a processor that could go up to higher frequencies, and thats it. thats what intels has going for them. plain and simple they wanted to have a higher frequency but they didn't do a very good job of containing the heat or making it very effecient. now AMD on the other hand went for not as high of frequency but for ultra efficient computing, and got the extra boost from being able to scale their processors well and get extra performance out of them by uping the frequency. the only problem is that since it does such an efficient job of processing that it makes it hard for it to overclock becuase its already being pushed to its max in processing(processing doesn't mean frequency). intel just made a poor judgement on their architecture.

The P4 prescott doesn't do well against the P4 northwood clock for clock. IT also has heat issues.

The Celeron Prescott, "D" preforms much better than the Northwood Celeron though. Higher FSB and double the L2 cache gives it something other than frequency. Heat isn't as big an issue since they run on lower frequencies than their P4 counterparts.