Hl2 Sdk: Hammer 4.0

KaluMinati

well i decided to dive into the wonderful world of mapping to see what its all about and so far...all i can say... is its addicting as hell!! i would rather work on my map then play hl2 dm ( btw my server is 68.145.173.206 but its normally full ) i have decided to make my map a very basic map, its actually an old hl based map revisited for those that can recognize the layout from the screenshot below, this hammer program makes it somewhat less frustrating to make maps then any other map making program i have attempted to make, im hoping to have this map finnished for the new year (very tedious and i want it perfect before i release it) i will start posting update screen shots in IRC for those interested in following this maps growth =)

Textures, or "materials" as they're known as now, are a bit bland. Go download osaka_r2, and use a wad2bmp converter, and use the whatevermaterialfilenextensionis compiler. Otherwise, you've got a nice map going there. Maybe a few fires, some trigger_hurt, etc. Oh yea, and try to make it all grav guns with tons of things to throw.

I've tried it once, didn't get too into it at the time, but I'm looking to do more with it. I just gotta figure out all the the little tricks and buttons to press when and where. Just like it took a little bit of time to get used to GTK Radiant.

Textures, or "materials" as they're known as now, are a bit bland. Go download osaka_r2, and use a wad2bmp converter, and use the whatevermaterialfilenextensionis compiler. Otherwise, you've got a nice map going there. Maybe a few fires, some trigger_hurt, etc. Oh yea, and try to make it all grav guns with tons of things to throw.

the entire map is the exact same texture atm.. im just doing the general layout and what not first.. then i will worry about what the walls look like ;)

if anyone comes across a downloadable/printable manual for Hammer, I'd appreciate it. the only mapping experience I have is extremely minor messing-around with GTK Radiant, and then only modeling I have is some Milkshape 3d and GMax tinkering. It's too difficult to read the online documentation (and I'm too lazy), so I'd like a hardcopy to read if there's one out there.