A64 3500+ And Dual Channel Memory

kninetik

I bought a watercooling system for quietness and minimal dust build up without any intent of OC'ing. However, this site made me want to do it :D

Im going to use:

Soltek's 939 Dual Channel Support MB

Newcastle A64 939 3500+

PDP Systems 3200 2x512 Memory

Cas Latency: 2-3-2-5-T1

Support Voltage: 2.6V

Here's what I know so far... You go into Bios and go set the FSB from 200 to 220 assuming you want to go from 2.2Ghz to 2.4Ghz. However, I know its not that simple because...

1) browsing this forum I came upon a post that said memory would be unstable beyond 220 fsb.

2) Something about dual channel going nuts and needing better memory because something as good as OCZ memory wont do.

3) Someone mention going for different ratios from 1:1 to 6:5

4) Voltage increases to either the CPU, RAM, or both and now Im LOST

I have proper cooling and I want to push to around FSB 235. How do I solve the mentioned memory problem above and what voltage would I need to use for the CPU? Do I really need to change voltage to RAM if I dont want to OC the RAM?

THanks!

B)

1. Not all memory goes nuts above 220fsb. Mine's at 275fsb. It depends on the quality of the RAM.

2. For best results, people use two matched sticks for dual channel. As long as they're the same make, model, and speed, you should be alright. And OCZ is good stuff.

3. If you RAM can't clock as high as your cpu, you can set a divider. For example, the default is a 1:1 ratio. That means for every Mhz you raise the front side bus, you raise the memory speed also. Soooo, with a 1:1 ratio, if you set fsb to 210, your RAM will be at 210. With a 6:5 divider, if you set your cpu to 210, your RAM will be at 175 (or close to it, I think I did the math right). However, despite the fact that they're are running different speeds, they will both overclock as you raise the front side bus. 1:1 is the best for performance.

4. Increase cpu voltage only if you have to, or when you feel you've got enough experience that you won't burn out your cpu. As for the RAM, 2.8v is a safe bet for just about anything.