Ricer Or American Muscle?

zigen

Which would you rather put money into? Assuming money is not a problem  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you rather put money into? Assuming money is not a problem

• A Japanese ricer
    • An American muscle car

it's really dumb to make generalizations like japanese cars are slower, american cars are lemons.

There are sub 10 second imports out there. thats with the limitations on the amount of horsepower detroit will alow japanese manufatures sell on US soil. also how many I-4 and V-6 domesics run sub 10sec 1/4 miles times, i'm sure they exsist, but there aren't many. also to base a cars worth on a 1/4mi time is just stupid to me. if driving were about going straight why have a steering wheel.

American cars have become substantially more reliable in the past 20 years, many will go the distance with "the honda". One can't help but wonder how much of that is because of the competitionfrom imports during the 70's and 80's, but thats what makes competition a such a good thing.

Ever heard of ford 2.3 (IE, pinto, mustang, thunderbird). Or a buick grand national?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you guys wanna talk about a NICE sound?

ford 473cui V8 w/3 stage super charger. exhaust comes right off of each exhaust manifold, down along the frame rails and dumps out infront of the rear tires of one of the broncos I've built up. all natural sound of several hundered HP without mufflers or anything like that.

Thinking of that sound brings tears to my eyes... tears of joy.

I would love to see some facts that back up that statement

Its part of a gentleman's agreement in effect. so theres nothing in writing. its the same way BMW's and MB's are electronically limited to under 155mph.

Ever heard of ford 2.3 (IE, pinto, mustang, thunderbird). Or a buick grand national?
Good, I never said there weren't any, but lets think about how many of those have been made in the past 20 years, when the federal goverment started controlling the emissions of automobiles. I believe there's only one (ford mustang svo). How about a quick (probably incomplete) japanese import list: integra, prelude, civic, RX7, supra, 300z, 350z, Impreza Sti, Impreza WRX.

Lets go the other way how many v8's in asian imports are being sold in the US right now? i only know of 2, the nissian titan (being a truck it's sort of beyond the scope of this discusion) and theres a lexus model or 2. the lexus being marketed toward the BMW, MB, Lincon, Caddy, buyers doesn't have much aftermarket support, hench you probably won't see it at your neighborhood track.

_Once Again_ i'm not trying to say imports are better or domestics are worse. I'm trying to make the point that ignorant statments like, "POS imports are slow, muscle rules!!!!" are just that, ignorant. Its nearly impossible to compare the two, HP:displacement, handling, 1/4, road track, modded, stock, torque, technoligy, theres just too many varibles.

You also have to consider the fact that the japanese culture, doesn't like to export their very best. They their is a concept in their culture that feels that certain things should only be sold on their homeland, its away for them to keep demonstrait their national pride. Every wonder why electronics and stuff are released ther first, and sometimes never make it over to this side of the world, thats why.

This should be about what car really "does it" for you. If its 1988 corvette stingray, thats great. For me i really want a 305z and when (not if) i get mine, and i sit in it for the first time i guarantee you i'll will be just as happy and just as proud as the most excited corvette, mustang, gto, camero or firebird owner ever, and thats what is important.

lol, well, as the saying goes....it all depends.....

american cars are muscle because you guys can afford the fuel. europe/japan is a bit different!

still, anyone can go fast in a straight line, as much as the new Mustang is mmm....mmm......

......i voted ricer though. Jap cars are better for going round bends (generally speaking) and that is where i get my kicks! whuppin . round a tight bend/roundabout (unlucky for the US ya dont got these!) is what it's all about!

So, on the straight....US

If a kink is involved.....JP

whoohoo!

ok, ricers=plastic

american muscle=steel

ricers=we will say 1995- present

muscle=60's and 70's

my point is if the american muscle cars were made out of plastic, and had new techn. engines, this wouldnt even be a debate.

AMERICAN MUSCLE PWNS ALL

More than 1 :D had the 2.3 turbo. Mustang, Merkur, Thunderbird. For non turbo though the list would go on and on and on. They used it in everything. Most of the time though the only waker part they added was the pistons (to a higher compression non forged) type so the motors were WAY overbuilt and could be modded to have tons of hp (also why they live for ever). I think the rods are rated at 400hp+ etc.... Ive heard the cranks can handle 800+. Rod bolts only 250 though, but that shouldnt be too hard to fix. Tons of people driving around in their slow cars/trucks, whilst they have motors with huge potential under the hood and never know it lol.

That really is about the only fast american 4 cylinder I can think of though, unless you count the Neon SRT. There are prolly more of these engines around though than any 2 japanese 4 cylinders.

There is one simple fact that keeps me away from fast japanese motors though. Building a high tech race motor is for race teams. I am poor. I dont have 10k to build a 2.0 liter 450hp motor that costs 1000 dollars when it hiccups, a ton more if it burps. All so I can say I have a super fast 4 banger that would be awesome if I was racing in some displacement limited event. But I prolly could pull together 3000 dollars to build a bad arse small block making 500hp which would maybe cost me 50 bucks for a hiccup, 2 or $300 for a burp. Thats prettymuch what Airman said though.

I learned my lesson in a much cheaper way on my fourwheeler. I spent 1000 dollars to modify the stock motor, which made it moderately fast till it blew up. Plan B, rip the stock motor out and drop in a motor that starts out with 2x the hp and 20x the potential. Modified that and now its fast enough to scare me, and it hasnt blown up yet. Moral of that story. Small slow, stock, motors great when they're stock but wringing hp out of them is a patient rich mans sport.

around the curves? what the heck is that?

drive OVER it!!!!!!

I'm actually suprised @ how well dodge did with the new durango. that SOB has got some serious balls it, good gas milage, and handles curves very well. does it count at american muscle? it has a hemi!

Dodge lost there talent for making trucks awhile ago, my friend has the new durango...Sure its fast but guess what he is @ 50kmiles right now and he is having over heating problems as well as oil leakage.

Chevy is on the ball with trucks nowa days

Also to the comment about a 900hp supra vs 400hp hemi muscle..

Are you stupid? If you had those two cars i can tell you the supra would have at least 6-10k more into it than the muscle...Actually you can get a Camaro/mustang at 400hp with no problem at all.

Also 300hp in a heavy car is fine...

300hp in a light car = quick

Its not all about power, there is torque and weight to play in there.

If i had tons of cash for gas, id definetly go muscle.

I personally want a Subaru WRX. Because ive seen those at 800hp (not that mine will ever be that high) but also they are for rallying, which is tons of fun. But i am not the trunk type.

lol, well, as the saying goes....it all depends.....

american cars are muscle because you guys can afford the fuel. europe/japan is a bit different!

still, anyone can go fast in a straight line, as much as the new Mustang is mmm....mmm......

......i voted ricer though. Jap cars are better for going round bends (generally speaking) and that is where i get my kicks! whuppin . round a tight bend/roundabout (unlucky for the US ya dont got these!) is what it's all about!

So, on the straight....US

If a kink is involved.....JP

whoohoo!

well, it's a fooked up question to ask really isnt it?

i mean come on! 90% of people here are American for gods sake!

Still, take some bends and any car will pretty much own an american muscle car. American roads are much straighter than Jap/Euro counterparts, which is why they are straight liners.

Any idiot can go fast in a straight line.

Going round bends people....it's where the skill, fun, and thrill factor are.

Unless of course, you want to drag race (and maybe blow up with all that nitrous...:lol:)

And remember my american chums: ***your fuel costs f-all!!!!***

(everywhere else is a fortune because of different tax systems)

edit: P8 mentioned rallying - which is considered THE toughest motorsport in the world. The ford focus WRC was tuned to do 0-60mph in 3 seconds. try getting a lump of muscle to do that, and then go round bends at break neck speeds ;)

and define good gas mileage....(per $/