Is This Supposed To Be Hot For A 3.4ghz?

xRo0t

Hi there,

My P4 3.4ghz cpu's temp is idling at ~44c and sometimes reach ~60's celsius when full load, which really makes the pc freeze and become so slow and fuzzy,

I heard that it is normal for prescotts to heat up..

so is it really because of the high temp or something else?

I'm on a 1gb (2x512) DDR2 PC 5400, so I highly doubt the freezing and slowness is caused by the RAM

PS. I am using the intel retail HSF that comes with the cpu, and I didnt OC my cpu or anyhing.. the case is xblade with three 80mm(i think?) case fans..

If you guys think that this is pretty hot for a new system that is going to be used for games and excessive programs/data load.. then please suggest some good alternative HSFs that is no more than $50 in price and no more than 35 DBa..

Thanks alot!

Prescott's are notorious for heating up to temperatures almost hot enough to cook on, so don't worry too much, but, i will ask one thing: are you using the stock heat-sink compund that comes pre-applied to the processor? iwould advise putting some AS5 (arctic silver) on there instead to help improve heat transfer.

also tell us how your fans are set up - we might be able to help you improve the air flow through your case and drop the temp maybe a couple of degrees.

Hi silver,

yeah I'm using the stock heat-sink compund that comes pre-applied to the processor ..

I'm not sure I will be able to fully describe how they're setup ,,but I will take some photo's if thats better and post them soon (on vacation)

so, is it from the compound? shouldnt I get a new HSF? if so.. then what would u suggest..

thanks alot..

That is about normal for prescot. They run very hot if you want better cooling get another heat sink. But I am confused did you put some kind of paste on your processor then heat sink. or just put heat sink on top of your proccessor with out any paste on it. I have not heard of a proccessor coming pre applyed thermal paste.

For heat sinks what everyone is going to say xp-90 or xp-120 and for fans just pick one that you like. That is 90mm fan for the xp-90 or 120mm fan for the xp-120.

you are fine, mine runs about the same or slightly lower, have had it up to 81 degrees with no problem and no thermal throttling either ;) i didn't let it run that hot for long, just long enough to try to test a theory

try lowering the ambient temp of the room some, mine is at 20 degrees c

Well, i will not going to be convinced that these Prescotts Run hot until my own starts to do so. I havent had my 530 over 50* C running Prime 95 over clock slightly (3.23). I am using the stock heatsink with the stock termal pad attached. I bought a jungle heatsink when i ordered the processor and havent even bothered putting it on. This chip only runs 6-8*c hotter then my 2.4B northwood. And considering the northwood is a physically larger ship, this is about what i would expect. I am working on a full ducting mod were the heat sink will be forced air by a 120mm fan located on the outside of the case. No point to it really, just something to do.

BTW... i am using a average of the Bios temp and the MOBO utility to get these numbers :foldon:

Edited by TrendKilleR

that was my question, how are you coming about these numbers, your bios is reporting temps at idle, once your os boots it gets much hotter, so to use an average from the bios and the mobo utility is not really correct in my opinion, what does your mobo utility actually say, that's a start

what motherboard? what utility?

try setting up motherboard monitor, it will be the most accurrate if configured correctly, i just cant believe your temps are actually that low unless your room temp is really really cold, especially with the stock hsf and thermal pad, do some searching around the web, i doubt you will find anyone else reporting temps that low on that cpu with the stock hsf and thermal pad, realistically anyways

for instance, my ambient room temp is 19.8 degrees celcius right now, my cpu is running folding@home, steam, ie, mirc, vent, etc.......cpu load in task manager is about 50-52%, and mbm reports 58 degrees on the cpu and 22 on the northbridge, same with the Abit EQ utility, it reads same as mbm, and thats with a TT Spark 7 applied with Arctic Silver Ceramique correctly and allowed to go through the curing phase as described at their site, i've removed and reinstalled these things a hundred times, i know how to do it right, trust me, and i have tons of fans flowing air through my case, temp rises a good 10 or more degrees if i take off the side panel

fire storm:

actually I'm not sure about that,.. its just how I got it from the person I bought it from, but what differences would it make? because in fact I never installed one myself but I pretty much know something about the whole thing..

and for the xp-120 or 90.. do I need to put a thermal paste before installing the heatsink? or should I leave it as it is..

gravy:

oh, well thats what I heard from some1 else using this processor.. but the thing is, does it act weird (slow, freeze, sound coming from cpu) when its running hot? say 60c-67c.. or it just runs as normal as 40s ?

thanks guys for the help..

mine ran normal all the way up to 81, couldn't believe that the thermal throttling hadn't kicked in yet....maybe a few more degrees

and to answer the question about thermal paste, emphatically yes, use it always with conventional heatsinks which are air cooled

if you decide on the XP90 or 120 make sure you get the LGA775 RM, if I'm not mistaken you're running a Socket T setup, this is only assumption since you said you had DDR 5400 though, but if you are in fact on a socket T setup you will need this in order to use either of these thermalright heatsinks.

gravy:

hmm.. if yours runs normal up to 81c and mine acts dang weird in the 60s.. then that would imply that something else other than the cpu that would cause the pc to freeze, wouldnt it?

or is it just the thermal paste that I might suppose wasnt properly installed or needs to be replaced by a better one.. which as you have suggested the 120-xp i think..

whether it helps or not, I will try and get pics of how the fans are installed inside the case as soon as i return home. thanks alot anyways.. I appreciate your help..

kanbeki,

what is the LGA775 RM? and how can I recognize a Socket T setup..

How can I make sure whether I'm on the right setup?

sorry if I sound noobish with these Qs.. anyways, I think my processor model says something about LGA775

Edited by xRo0t

check out your airflow, move those cables outta the way, check the fans are in at the front and out at the back, and lap and As5 the h/s - if you want to upgrade the h/s then get a thermalright block (one that takes 120mm) but prescotts, as everyone has said, do run rather hot