Thermal Paste

Slyder42

I got an AMD Athlon XP 2200+ and it runs fairly hot.

I got it up to 65* right now.

How much silver compound should I use and how thick of a coating?

I don't want to waste it and/or fry stuff with too much thermal silver.

Suggestions, previous threads, ANYTHING!

Thanks to everybody for their help!

I got the Antec Refrence Silver Compound from Best Buy 2 years ago.

So... a nice thin coating to cover the CPU.

On another note... looking for a nice HSF to replace my mediocre TT HSF. Want something with a copper core and aluminum fins with a 80x80x25 fan mounted on it... can't spend too much... less than $40. Carved fins, not soldered fins.... Any suggestions?

DO NOT use antec refrence , it contains no silver, and it also is made with water in it, that stuff is the worst, it turns to liq, get some as3 or as5

i would use the white paste over that antec crap

but yes, almost see through lawer, its only used to fill in the micro grooves on the cpu and heat sink, first rub some into the heat sink to fill all the micro holes and then use about half a grain of rice and that should do the trick

i have a question about thermal paste, was gonna make a new topic, but since this ones already here...

has anyone heard of Shin-Etsu G765 paste?

if so is it any good or not, i know it costs like twice as much as as5. is it just marked up crap or is it really worth any of it?? just a question i was thinkin about

i have a question about thermal paste, was gonna make a new topic, but since this ones already here...

has anyone heard of Shin-Etsu G765 paste?

if so is it any good or not, i know it costs like twice as much as as5. is it just marked up crap or is it really worth any of it?? just a question i was thinkin about

Hmmm, never heard of that. I would just go with Arctic Silver Ceramique, theres like only 1-2C diffrence between the AS5 and AS C, it's cheaper and it doesn't conduct electricity. That means you can have it all over your mobo and it won't do any harm :)

Actually Just go to Arctic Silvers Home Page, it tells Instructions

it also shows how you dont neccesarily need to cover the whole area, If you follow their directions you cover like a circle in the middle with a half radius of the entire chip, and by doing this you have covered the most important parts which is more important than covering the entire chip, just go to their website and you'll see what im talking about