Logitech Z680 Speaker Cables

lilkev715

I am going to be buying some z680's soon and I want to use better speaker cables as the speaker cables that come with the z680's look pretty crappy (im guessing around 20-guage). My main question is, should I spend the extra money on some name-brand copper speaker cable like monster cable, or should I be fine with some speaker cable from radio shack? The main thought that comes to mind is that speaker cable is just copper, plain and simple. I was thinking of getting some 18-guage cable as a minimum, maybe 16-guage if the price is right. What do you guys think?

For those kind of speakers all you'll be spending your money on will be the looks. Too many people buy that Monster Cable crap thinking it will be better for their mid to range sound system. Monster cable is for extremly high end systems (like my 5500 dollar Denon Home Theater system :D ). Oh ya, I use the cheap crap for my surrounds ;)

For those kind of speakers all you'll be spending your money on will be the looks. Too many people buy that Monster Cable crap thinking it will be better for their mid to range sound system. Monster cable is for extremly high end systems (like my 5500 dollar Denon Home Theater system :D ). Oh ya, I use the cheap crap for my surrounds ;)

i beg to differ. i use monster cable in all my setups. i mean, i wouldn't consider this TOO very high-end, but i'd say i've got about $800 so far invested in my home theater audio. i've got 2 B&W floorspeakers (2 8" woofers and a tweeter in each), 2 infinity kappa (10") subs and 6 sat speakers

i just upgraded to monster cable (from regular 14 guage speaker wire) and there's no hissing anymore. the sound quality's great and i love it.

just get some good 12guage or 14guage speaker wire and you should be set i guess

For those kind of speakers all you'll be spending your money on will be the looks. Too many people buy that Monster Cable crap thinking it will be better for their mid to range sound system.

i dissagree with that totally. those z680's are beastly. they look good, yes, but the sound quality is excellent as well. monster cable will make it sound even better.

Monster Cable's speaker wire is way over-rated and over-priced. Their other stuff is nice (Optical, s-vid, and component) but the speaker wire is just crap. I mainly use Acoustic Research Wire in most of my set-ups. Never had a complaint and it's half the cost of monster ;)

:withstupid:

I'm going to save 10 bucks and get some generic 16 guage cable.

A little off topic, a generic optical cable will work just as well. Those optical monster cables aren't really worth the money, after all it is just strands of optic fibre. Which would you get(in terms of a optical cable)? A generic optical cable for 10 bucks or a monster cable for 50 bucks? (prices are approximate in retail) A no-brainer at least in this situation.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update for you guys. I received the speakers and I am glad I didn't use the included speaker wire. The included speaker wire is a joke IMO, more llike an insult to these great speakers. Im guessing the speaker wire that was included is around 20 guage, pretty pathetic. Anyways I used some generic 16 guage cable from Home Depot and it sounds absolutely fine.

On a side note, these speakers are truly awesome. If anyone needs more power than these things then they are insane/deaf.