Question About Windows Xp On Seperate Partition?

Dial M 4 Monkey

Ok, when I bought a new mobo and some other items, I re installed windows XP with the XP disc i had previously received from Dell. When I tried to activate windows, it would i had thrown away my cd key because it was on my torn up case which i threw away...stupidly. So, i tried to get a new installation ID by the automated phone thing. It says that my product key isn't on their record and I can't get a new installation key.

So, i borrow my gf's XP disc which has already been used I believe. Try that installation key. No good, same error. Try to get a new one. It gives me a new product key to tell to the automated system, and this key gets the same error.

Sooooo, if I install windows on a seperate partition than my information, then, every 30 days reformat that partition and reinstall windows, will my old stuff like games and documents and such, still be on my computer? Will windows recognize them?

If so, do i have to reformat me HDD to create a new windows partition, or can i just do it over this if I have the space?

Thanks for your help.

my windows partition is only 10GB for that very reason. if windows dies, then its a simple thing to deal with. i know that programs need to be reinstalled, but meh....at least my other 10 partitions are safe (unless of course there is a physical failure).

i keep everything apart....photos, games, films, music, documents, downloads, program files - and use the rest for overspill. having 280gb is handy.

windows should have its own HD imo - a small one cos thats where a lot of the hard disk activity is and files change a lot.

oh boy, next time i buy a computer, i hope its not so different then the ones now, ill know so much, and ill definitly separtae page file and windows from everthing else..

or u can get a 2nd hd (not on same raid) for back up files and important stuff like i do. was gonna get 2 80 gb maxtors in raid 0, but i instead put a 80gb WD for important files and everything i d/l on it. i also back up files to cd every other month :)

Dell should be able to give you your CD Key. I changed out Mobo's on my Dell but I couldn't find the CD-Key anywhere so I called Dell and told them the old Mobo fried and that I didn't have my key anymore. Just gave them the express service code(if you still have it) and they gave me the original key. It won't activate without calling microsoft and getting a new installation id though because windows doesn't see the dell mobo anymore. Oh, and when you call microsoft don't do the automated thing, it won't work, instead just keep hitting # 0 until you actually get to talk to someone.

ya well, I don't have the money for that, and I would reformat and make a new paatition now except that I can't find most of the hardware and software CD's and keys anymore, So Im not even gonna try.