What Pci Video Card...

CNUco2007

Okay, my friend wants to upgrade from integrated video to an actual video card. Only problem is, he doesnt have an AGP slot and PCI video cards are somewhat limited in choices. What would be a good PCI video card for gaming. He wants to be able to play half life 2, but not necessesarily on its highest settings. Well, thx for the input. later

Well 5200 PCI is actually pretty friggin good compared to say Intel integrated. and now they have a 5500 PCI that lokos to be slightly better. but to give an idea of performance, my 5200 PCI out does a 5200 ultra AGP 8x. That's same system, same ram. I tested a friends and tried mine in my shuttle and got about 8 fps higher with mine than his.

But if he really plans on gaming that much he really needs a newer mobo. As sad as it is (bc i know my HP is the reason i have one) the AGP slot rules when compared to PCI, and as of now is in o so many ways better than PCIe :) (like it's everywhere and 8x isn't fully maxed out...yet

I would got for the 5500, best PCI card i knwo of, wish i had one instead of my 5200 PCI, even though mine is a good solid card. (halo single player in a 1.8 celeron system 800x600 medium settings smooth, multiplayer 1024x768, usually high settings, still overall smooth) It is a DX 9.0 card so you do get to see that extra prettyness :), if you want i could put it back in here and run the doom 3 demo and see how it does compared to my 9600 pro lol

I don't think he'll be able to play HL2 with a PCI card that well anyway. Low memory bandwidth, sometimes lower clock speeds, not to mention you get a choice of crappy cards. But, I can make a few suggestions...

APOLLO nVidia GeForce FX5700LE - 128Mb DDR - 128 bit

XFX nVidia GeForce FX5200 - 256Mb DDR - 128 bit

Prolink nVidia GeForce FX5200 - 128Mb DDR - 128 bit

The Prolink has less memory than the XFX, (128 vs 256), but it's memory clock is higher.

PNY nVidia Qaudro NVS 280 - 64Mb DDR - DMS-59

Although it has only 64Mb of vm, the Quadro series are usually good cards.

VisionTek Xtasy 9200 - 256Mb DDR - 128 bit

PNY Verto nVidia GeForce FX5500 - 128Mb DDR - 129 bit

These are really the only half decent to decent PCI video cards. I have to say though, you should suggest to your friend, that he just buy a new prebuild for around $300.00-$500.00 with a 4x AGP slot. (8x AGP reccomended)

He wants to be able to play half life 2, but not necessesarily on its highest settings.

If he wants to play it with anything above the lowest settings and decent frame rates, he's gonna have to get a new mobo with agp

edit: the Quadro is a CAD card, not a gaming card!!!

If he wants to play it with anything above the lowest settings and decent frame rates, he's gonna have to get a new mobo with agp

edit: the Quadro is a CAD card, not a gaming card!!!

Yes, but it's also cheap. Considering some places still want you to pay $400.00+ for that card.