Sign in to follow this  
roguedog

Newbie.. Is This A P3 300 Or P3 700?

Was given a p3 system that was consistently hanging according to previous owner.

When I boot up the system it says p3 700 (7x100Mhz). Does this means it's been OC'd? I tried to look in the bios and when I bring everything down to defaults it says 300 mhz but when I try to boot to the 300 Mhz it gives me an error. In fact I can't seem to boot to anything but 700 Mhz (100 Mhz).

After replacing power, ram, formatting hd and reinstalling win98, upgrading cpu hs and fan.... it still hangs just not as often.

When I tried to install the mobo drivers it won't let me saying that it's not the right chipset... so now I'm wondering if this little homebuilt was a faked Intel P3... nevermind about the 700Mhz...

So..

Does this sound like a p3 300 that's been oc'd to look like 700?

Anyone have any ideas on what to try next?

tks

rd

I believe (not positive) that the default fsb on those is 100mhz, and since you cant unlock the multipliers on a p3 then I would lean towards a mobo problem. Try testing the cpu in a diffrent mobo if you have one around.

thats my guess...could be a bad cpu but I think the mobo. Did you try flashing it?

Hi Ronin,

Yup flashed the mobo too. Is there another way to tell if it's a bad mobo or a bad cpu? I don't have another p3 mobo. Well I have an old Soyo but it only goes up to 500 mhz.

rd

It's an Abit Se-6. Seems to lock up when I run an application.. thus far it's when I am running IE 6. I haven't loaded any other apps.

Seems to run fine if I don't open any apps. And when IE is open it's intermittant.

rd

Well.. it's not a 300Mhz CPU, I'll tell you that.

Does it BSOD, or just freeze? Automatically reboot?

My guess is the CPU is either a 667, 733, or 750... could be higher, but I doubt it.

How much RAM did you install, and how many SIMMs did you use?

Why I get no POST or system crashed with one 256M memory module on Solano motherboard? (SL6 /SE6 / SH6 / SA6R)

Per the datasheet of Solano chipset from intel, 4x4, 8x4, 16x4 and other x4 memory chips are not supported. Thus if you are using a double-side 32 chips or single-side 16 chips memory module on solano chipset motherboard, any kind of error is possible. It's out of the specification.