D3d Error

ClayMeow

I get the following error when trying to launch Evil Genius once it gets to the main screen (after loading). It used to work fine and I don't really know what's changed since then except for the installation of HL2 and possibly Sims 2 was installed after that as well. Anyways, see the attached screenshot and see if you have any idea what it means. Thanks!

yeah, i know d3d is direct 3d, but every single other game is fine, including HL2 which uses the latest d3d. I also don't recall updating any drivers since installing the game. Guess I'll go try and reinstall them. I also run dx9.0c, and the game requires dx9.0b....i would think c would be fine...shrug.

well I updated my detonator drivers (seems a new one was released a week ago), but that didn't fix it. So then I thought long and hard on what could have changed since I first played, and then it hit me...xfire? So I closed xfire and guess what....now it runs fine. I'm gonna post it on their forums and see why it does this. shrug. So I guess I can't log my hours, but at least I get to play it now :) (yes, believe it or not, sometimes I do need a break from CS:S and HL2).

What!?!?  Are you mad!  :O    :P

Anyway good to hear you got things worked out.  I've never used Xfire at all to play HL2 and CS:S

well, not completely worked out, as I do like to have xfire log my hours, but yeah, at least I can play it. You should definitely run xfire when playing CS:S at least, that way us fellow OCCers can join you :). I always see if other OCCers are in an open server first before joining a CS:S game, and there's been many times that other OCCers have joined me in a game as well.

EDIT: in case anyone was wondering, the problem IS with xfire, and has to do with the ingame chat function. One of the xfire devs said that they haven't been able to figure out why it does it yet because it only affects some systems (he said his computers at work run evil genius fine, but at home he gets the same error I do). Anyways, he gave me a solution of deleting 2 lines in the .ini file and it works now. Here's the thread if anyone else needs the fix:

http://www.xfire.com/xf/modules.php?name=F...0252&highlight=

Edited by ClayMeow