Asus A8v -> Which Raid Controller ?

I could not find the answer by searching previous posts (just joined) & I thought this would be a common question...

With the ASUS A8V_Deluxe there are 2 HD controllers for SATA drives, should I use the VIA or Promise?

I plan on running:

* XP PRO with AMD 64 3500

* Two Seagate SATA 120G in RAID 0

* System used for HVY Video editing w/ Pinnacle Studeo + Games, Games, Games (COD & Far Cry)

Depending on the controller, also wondering what chunk size I should set-up the drives. 8/16/32/64 ?

Greatly Appreciate any insight. :D

My old man was running Asus K8V SE Deluxe with both a VIA and Promise controllers and running 2 raptors in RAID 0. I tried the VIA controller first and it would cause his machine to just reboot at random. Not all the time, but it was annoying. I troubleshot it down to being the RAID controller, I switched it over to the promise controller and its been running trouble free for months now. I know its not the same motherboard but giving you my experiences with the VIA controller.

Edited by LobbDogg

Many TKS - I have only heard a couple of things on controller comparison:

"VIA faster"

"Promise more reliable"

I know it's not the same MOBO, but I'm guessin' it would be similar.

Q ==> Did your papa notice any speed difference when switched over to the Promise controller?

Also, do you have any insight into what chunk size I should set the drives @ (gaming + Video editing) -> I think 64, but need some reassurance.

TKS for your quick response -> Just joined the O/C & lovin' the info support already!

P.S. looks like you're running the same system as I'm building... what is you're HD?

Edited by PIG-PEN

Go with 64. My motherboard manual (MSI Master 2-FAR) recommends 64 as the optimal setting (VIA RAID controller).

This article would seem to suggets that it depends on the board, but mostly optimal performace was seen in the 64-128KB size.

We haven't noticed any difference in speed between the two controllers, maybe in terms of benchmarking there might be a slight difference, but I'd rather take stability over speed especially when it comes to hard drives and data.

I am using the same motherboard, but right now I'm just using an 80 gig IDE hard drive so I'm not using the SATA controller. Having financial troubles lately so I can't put any money into the system.