Need New Socket A For Computer

I need a new mobo for an AMD XP 2200+, 1Gb RAM, ATI Radeon Pro 9700.

I have a Soyo Ultra Dragon Platinum that appears to be crashing my system when stressed with high end games/apps...

Suggestions on best board?

Asus A7V8X?

At best all you can hope for is subjective opinions ;)

Personally I wouldn't swap my Abit Nf7-s (Ultra 400) for anything... but lots of people swear by their DFI/Asus units :)

If you're a HARD CORE gamer, you would appreciate all the extra oomph! you can squeeze outta' the system?

Dual Channel (nForce2) is for YOU! providing a recorded gain of 10% overall (but no use to you, if your 1GB is on a single stick ;))

What other features would you require?

Sata?.. RAID?.. Native Audio?.. UV reactance?.. size?.. magnificent BIOS?..etc.

Thanks for the opinions guys, I know this is an older setup that isn't cutting edge, I am in process of building a new computer now and will be giving this one to my kids for word processing and gaming, I love to game and this thing has been kicking out of game, freezing up and shutting down on me. Fails Prime95 after a few minutes, I am assuming it is the Mobo as everyone seems to hate the Soyos....

So I don't plan on overclocking, but a board that can make the best of these components is what I am looking for.

PS - I have 2 sticks of 512k RAM but can't for the life of me remember what they are, I believe they are Crucial 2700 DDR.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd personally go for one of the couple of Asrock "upgrade " boards with the socket A and socket 754, firstly 'cos they o/clock really well with a nicely featured bios (I've got a k8 combo -z that runs 25% o/c as a matter of course) and secondly because you have the sckt 754 upgrade path which contrary to some early opinions, run v cool and o/clock like mad things, especially in the low end varieties and they can only get cheaper.

I have both an asus A7N8X del and a DFi Ultra infinity and both have done well. I have not tried the abit but i have read it does well. My DFI would allow me to reach clock speeds much higher than i could get with my asus. Both were loaded with features so its a draw there . My vote would be for The DFI ultra infinity or the Lanparty. :foldon: