Call Me Stupid But..

markiemrboo

How on earth do you measure the resistance of a potentiometer with a multimeter? I got two IDENTICAL blue things in the post today, one's supposed to be 100R and one's 10K... no labels or anything to determine which is which... reallly....IDENTICAL :)

It's been a looong time since I did electronics at high school.... help!

I'm not sure about your multimeter, but mine has an option to measure resistence. Just set it to the resistence setting and touch the two leads. Or if you want to do it manually, it would just take some simple math. My multimeter has a 1.5V battery in it, so if I was getting .15V back into the multimeter, it's a 10 ohm resistor...you see what I mean?

Well.. it has like 200R-2000M with various different steps... but both read either 0.100 (whatever the hell that means) or 0.00 so that's not really helping me much at all :angry:

Sooo... you think I should grab a battery of some sort and test it using voltage instead then?

EDIT: HAHA! I am such a retarddddd! The two I was holding were both 100R (the 0.100 makes sense now)... I just right now remembered I actually ordered two of each, 2x10k and 2x100R .. both the 10k's (which have a different number on them, 103 rather than 101 for the 100R's) were still in the parcel in a bright red bag :rolleyes: Man.. remind me never to wake up at 7AM again :D All is good now.. thanks :D

:lol: no need to be sorry! I can be such a dumb arse sometimes :rolleyes:

Thank you for the picture. Setting the multimeter to 2k and measuring them it turns out the two I was holding originally were the 100R's and the two hiding in the red bag were the 10k's! I've got the whole resistor part soldered up now, so I am just waiting for the pin headers to come (hopefully today, gonna go see the crazy electrician man here at Uni today!) then I should have a nice LCD to admire, providing I get it right and don't get high on the magic smoke :)