Sign in to follow this  
Badams66

Xp Home To 2000 Pro?

Well, i don't know why, but windows XP has just pushed me to the edge. I just hate it more and more every time i look at it...

Im wondering if there is a bigger difference between 2000 pro and windows XP home? Or, since i could care less about all the fancy crap in XP that 2000 pro would work fine for me?

SPecs are as follows.

AMD Athlon 2000+ @ 1.85Ghz

Volcano 11+ hsf

ATI Radeon 9800 Pro

256mb PC2100

40GB WD HD

Gigabyte 7V-KMP mobo

XP Pro or 2000 pro are both really good choices. It was hard for me to upgrade to XP pro after I had used 2000 pro for so long but now I would only reccommend XP Pro....

yea, i have used XP pro before (dads computer), but if i were to get it, i would want a legit version, and i just don't have that kind of money. And XP Home is just...well...another of microsofts products that suck, yet ive never used 2000 pro before and im just wondering if its basically the same as XP pro/home without all the visual effects?

For the person who said there might be software conflicts (sorry, didn't catch your name) what do you mean by that. Ive never heard of something working in one microsoft product but not another (except windows NT)

2000 pro its good after u get it setup and running and EVERYTHING configured, except the startup and shutdown times are AWFUL like..into the 2 min range i like XP Pro muuch better than windows 2000

for awhile 2000 had the highest benchmark on 3dmark for i think a good 3 months..it seems to be the cleaner OS and does eat up as much resources

and does eat up as much resources

Did you mean does not use as much resources?

Because im sorry, but when my sisters 433 celeron with 64mb of ram with 2000 runs faster then 1.8Ghz 256mb ram, theres a problem...

except the startup and shutdown times are AWFUL like..into the 2 min range i like XP Pro muuch better than windows 2000

From the time i turn on my computer to the time i can login is about 45 seconds with XP Home, but to shut it down, from the time i press shutdown to the time that it actually turns off is around the 3-5 minute mark AFTER i turn all programs off.

Edited by Tyme_66

but to shut it down, from the time i press shutdown to the time that it actually turns off is around the 3-5 minute mark AFTER i turn all programs off.

That's called a misconfigured computer. I don't care how slow it is, a well setup system doesn't take that long to shutdown.

C:\>FORMAT C: <CR>

windows 2000 takes forever to start.. but my 2000 server has been running for 30 days now.. without a restart..

windows 2000 and xp pro have this in common.. the ability to connect throught a domain.. thats is the BIG pluss.. 2000 is the 98 look.. but is decent.. it does an ok job.. i suggest xp pro.. but if you dont like xp home.. there is realy not a huge diffrence... i would go 2000 if your compuer is just going to be use for work..

I only use 2000 Pro on my systems. I've had too many problems with XP, and I prefer the clean look of 2k.

It doesn't take any longer to start 2k over Pro. Mine can load everything in under 30 seconds, which is about equal to XP. XP just gives you something pretty to look at while it's loading.

My Server which is running 2k Pro has been running for over a month now with no problems. When I used to run XP on it, It would crash every few days. 2000 uses a lot less memory as well, because it doesn't have all the rounded edges and other useless stuff.