Sign in to follow this  
wamason

9800 Pro Vs. 5900 - Farcry Performance ?

I read an article from HardOCP comparing a 9800Pro against a 6600GT, and they said that in Far Cry they had to turn down detail settings and the res to 1024x768 to get playable framerates, and turn shadows off. I can play it with everything on at 1200x1024. Strange. I don't have an Athlon64 like they do, just a 2600XP.

Yeah they used an FX-55 to. I think what they consider playable and what they consider playable are totally different. But as for a good AGP video card I would recommend the 6600GT AGP espcially if Doom 3 is a factor.

I personally am not a huge fan of Doom, so it's not in my plans, I prefer games that are outside and offer a bit more freedom. I normally don't jump for new games, but Far Cry caught my attention, otherwise I normally play games that have been out for a few months. I upgraded to my 9800Pro about 3 months ago, from a GF2 Ti :lol: I like FPS games and some simulation games. Call of Duty and BF1942 are some of my fav's. But Far Cry has superceded them all :D

Without going too technical, here is the shortest answer why your friends 5900 does not run well in Far Cry. Basically, all the FX sereis video cards are NOT really dx9 compliant. The 5200/5600/5700/5800 (leaf blower anybody?)/5900 series video cards were not designed properly according to the dx9 spec. So basically these series of cards are actually dx8 cards at best. They are competitive in dx8, but when a dx9 game is played, they get moped on the floor by ATI. Its actually really embarrasing for nvidia for a 9600pro to out-perform a 5900 in a dx9 game. The newer nvidia cards based on the NV4X architechture took care of this problem.

I moved from FX5700LE to 9800Pro.....the ATI card does carry the word "proven performer".....my 5700LE oced but cant even play Farcry at the lowest setting.but my 9800Pro runs Farcry at the highest setting it could offer...and heck without any problem....

.....my 5700LE oced but cant even play Farcry at the lowest setting.

holy crap the 5X00's card suck at farecry!!!

well i can play farecry on the lowest settings too

9200 se at 1024X the other number

and i can play it

it not the best set up but it works

PS: yes! i finaly got my floding @ home DNA thinger

Without going too technical, here is the shortest answer why your friends 5900 does not run well in Far Cry. Basically, all the FX sereis video cards are NOT really dx9 compliant. The 5200/5600/5700/5800 (leaf blower anybody?)/5900 series video cards were not designed properly according to the dx9 spec. So basically these series of cards are actually dx8 cards at best. They are competitive in dx8, but when a dx9 game is played, they get moped on the floor by ATI. Its actually really embarrasing for nvidia for a 9600pro to out-perform a 5900 in a dx9 game. The newer nvidia cards based on the NV4X architechture took care of this problem.

:withstupid: nicely put man.. problem with the Fx series as some would said it, their development rate was too fast, newer cards came out too fast..so there wasnt much time to improve on the previos tech :)