9800 Pro Vs. 5900 - Farcry Performance ?

wamason

Hey everyone, I wasn't surewhich forum to post this in (Video Cards or gaming) but since it involves Video Cards, I'll post it here.

I have an MSI Radeon 9800 128MB Pro, Athlon 2600XP, Abit NF7, 1Gb GEIL RAM, 2 Maxtor 80 GB HD's in RAID 0.

My friend has an MSI GeForce FX5900 256MB, Athlon 2600, MSI mobo, 768Mb Kingston RAM, 2 Seagate Barracuda 40 GB HD's in RAID 0.

Here's my problem. We both bought Far Cry (Awesome game!) and It runs at 1200x1024x32 on my comp (non-oc'ed) with all eyecandy on with no problems. The only time I slow down is when I get shot with a rocket and the close proximity of the explosion causes the framerate to drop temporarily, but I know I run well over 30FPS most of the time.

My friend installed Far Cry, and he can run it at 1024x768x32 with detail level of medium and still gets framerates in the low 20's. He's even tried re-flashing his 5900 to 5950 specs, but he still doesn't get much improvement.

I don't know that much about nVidia cards, but I thought the 5900 would be fairly equal to the 9800 Pro. Any thoughts?

Also, does anyone know of anything he could do to his card or any game tweaks to get the game running better and still look good?

Thanks!

noped my friend...the 5900 is nowhere near the 9800Pro as far as Far Cry is concern..unless he gets the Ultra or XT edition, you cant really compare the 2 cards together :D doubt the 256mb ram will help..

as for what he can do? i have no clue man, im not really good in 3d cards anyway..maybe the only way is OC it or get a new one :P

hmm...the 9800pro was the card of choice for most people, so i doubt there is a great deal he can do other than get something like the 6600/6800/x800 gfx cards!

the 9800pro does a lot better than the 5900 and i believe the 5950. ati are better at delivering quality, whereas nvidia seems to be better at speed. (seems a bit like an intel/amd thing to me!!)

NV38 was never known to perform well. The 9800s eat them alive in just about everything. I'm not sure the NV38 can even match it in Doom3. Anyway, waht your friend should do is sell the 5900 and go buy a 9800Pro/XT or 6600GT.

i have a 5900Ultra, and i can play Doom3 on UltraHigh settings w/ framrates ranging from 30 - 60fps depending on how much is going on so you shouldn't have a problem w/ that game. However, i played farcry on its highest settings too, and although i never checked my framerates, i never felt like it was lagging either. i thought it played just fine.

I read an article from HardOCP comparing a 9800Pro against a 6600GT, and they said that in Far Cry they had to turn down detail settings and the res to 1024x768 to get playable framerates, and turn shadows off. I can play it with everything on at 1200x1024. Strange. I don't have an Athlon64 like they do, just a 2600XP.