Sign in to follow this  
Sal_CDN

Oc Me

Hey everyone, I'm pretty much a noob when it comes to over clocking. So first, if you vets could help a guy out, I'd like some suggestions and comments on where I should start.

here's what I have:

Asus mobo P4C800E Deluxe

intel P4 3.4GHz EE (extreme edition)

Radeon X800XT Platinum Edition

2 Gigs RAM PC 3200

SB Audigy2 ZS

500W PSU

I think that's all of the important stuff. I overclocked my CPU to 3.6GHz using the Asus bios feature (5% on auto). My temps are fairly stable, 35C idle and CPU gets around 50C to 55C when gaming according to "Asus Probe" monitoring utility. Mobo temp is close to the CPU temp.

However, my video card is fairly warm I think... 48C Idle and almost 60C after working hard. Got lot's of fans, (3case, Zalman CPU cooler, PSU exaust and of course vid card),but don't know if I'm using them to the fullest.

Cooling suggestions??

You may want to upgrade the cooling on your video card... But an X800XT PE isn't too bad. I'm saying, if everything is running well, don't bother. You have a killer system already.

However, if you want to OC further look into different types of cooling. If you want to be hardcore about it, your going to need a better CPU cooler, perhaps even H2O. It's up to you, but if you read the little editorial on overclocking (link's on home page) then I'm sure you may learn something more.

More case fans would help with cooling as well. I myself have 2 80mm intake, 2 80mm exhaust, 2 80mm on the PSU (1 more exhaust) and a 120mm blowhole fan. Call me overkill but I like my system cool (my room stays warm though). ;)

Your temps are nothing to worry about. Video cards typically go higher than CPU's, especially the lastest released. Make sure that your RAM is being overclocked with your CPU, for overall performance increase. Also let us know what brand your PSU is, because even if it's 500W, it could still be weak. So get back to us, hope I helped! :)

K thanx, for now I'll focus on cooling it down some more in the case.

But, your question about my memory speed...?

not sure what it should be but I'll assume it should follow the 5% and says it's at Memory= 168.00 MHz

CPU= 3570.00

AGP=66.67

FSB= 210.00

Thanks again for any pointers

Sal out

If your memory is pc3200, it should be running 200Mhz stock, and it should sync with your FSB if you're OC'n right. You may want to check your settings because if it's running at 168Mhz, then it's underclocked.

Hmmm, that's just nasty. It says it's pc 3200 and 200MHz. ?!?!

I have two makes of memory in my machine, 2 sticks are Micron and 2 are OCZ. both 3200

from Aida32 reports

Memory Module Properties

Module Name OCZ OCZ400512PH

Serial Number None

Module Size 512 MB (2 rows, 4 banks)

Module Type Unbuffered

Memory Type DDR SDRAM

Memory Speed PC3200 (200 MHz)

Module Width 64 bit

Module Voltage SSTL 2.5

Error Detection Method None

Refresh Rate Reduced (7.8 us), Self-Refresh

Highest CAS Latency 2.5 (5.0 ns @ 200 MHz)

the Micron memory says: highest CAS lat. = 3.0( 5ns @ 200MHz)

and second highest CAS lat. = 2.5([email protected])

Edited by Sal_CDN

If it were me, I would pull the two Micron sticks, and run that OCz at a 1:1 front side bus/memory ratio. It looks like your motherboard wants to run all four sticks at a 5:4 ratio, hence the 166Mhz. This is probably 'cause the Micron won't do CAS 2.5 at 200Mhz.

Or, you could just leave all four in, set the CAS to 3, and start raising the front side bus.

Or, you could just leave all four in, set the CAS to 3, and start raising the front side bus.

I would go this route, generally your not going to see a whole lot of difference between CAS 3 and CAS 2.5. 2.5 is a little faster in benchmarks, but nothing noticable outside of there

Yeah, with CAS 3, you should be able to start out with all four sticks at 200Mhz. Whenever you use RAM with different timings, your motherboard will usually default to the speed of the lowest one.

Ok, so in BIOS the settings where:

Config DRAM timing by SPD [Enabled]

So I disabled that and the CAS Lat. was and still is at 2.5

RAS# precharge 4

RAS# to CAS# delay 4

DRAM precharge delay 8

Burst length 4

and performance accelerator is [enabled]

DRAM Idle timer [Auto]

DRAM refresh rate [auto]

Graphics Aperature 256 (this is right eh?) i read that it should be default at 64?!?

You know I almost have to agree with taking 2 sticks out, cuz as far as I can tell it doesn't use anywhere close to 1GB. Or...I can get more OCZ :D

I build gaming PCs in my spare time for ppl at work, so I can easily unload the micron for discount and buy new RAM.

Sal

i think the Graphics Apature (sp?) size is 1/2 of how much memory the card actually has. 256mb=128 G.A. i think... someone clarify if i am wrong