Sign in to follow this  
lando520

Help! Computer Keeps Shutting Down And Starting Up

Ok, I shutdown my wife's computer last night, in the morning it was on. Later this morning she said she got a message bar that said someone else was logged onto her computer. Now it keeps powering up boots windows then shutsdown and the power goes off. Then it powers back on and does the same thing again. It's only on for maybe 30-60 sec when it shuts down and powers off. Then 30 sec later powers back on. The temps and the voltages look fine, but it will powerdown even when I'm in the bios.

Any suggestions?

I can see a virus causing your system to shut down and I can see a virus preventing your system from starting (boot sector virus?). But I have a hard time understanding how a virus would cause a complete shutdown and restart.

I would suggest looking at the PSU first and eliminate that as a cause of the problem.

wasn't there a virus a while ago that would cause your computer to shutdown (with a dialog box giving you 15 seconds or something) ??? i'm sure it was earlier this year.... hmmm

I don t get how it could be a virues if the computer competely shuts off no lights no fan going and then how would it turn its self on when it is off. My dads really old gatway (7 years) turns it self on after a power falure but I don t think your computer is that old.

and then there's also the fact it shuts down and turns itself back on even when he's only in BIOS. highly doubt it's a virus. but.. that's all I have to say, it seems rather strange. is the time between shutdown constant, or random? like sometimes will it shutdown after 30 seconds, but sometimes 2 minutes.. or always dot on 5 minutes say?

ah, i see... maybe a combination of "Shutdown at: whatever*C" and "Resume after Power Failure"

somehow didn't read the bit about the bios the first time... heh heh

I know i had one of those, all i could do is power up then the system took me to the end when you click on shut down and everything after and it clicks itself off, i couldn't do anything but power on.

Happend to be a friggin nice one, that erased both my 30 and my 80 gigs and left me with empty HDD's i had to reload everything i had saved and loaded into my system. wouldn't surprise me if the jerk that did this added a line like "there's someone else in your computer"

Lucky me i always backup :P