Sign in to follow this  
Deathspawner

Best Forum Software?

I'm looking for the best forums/message board software out there, that's either free, or not free. I want great versitile software, that's very secure. I've seen a lot of popular sites get their forums hacked recently, so I am cautious about it.

I was going to install Invision Boards, but it used to be free, and now it's not. I was thinking of phpBB, but I am unsure on how secure it is, since it's so popular. Vbulletin is also on my lists of ones to check out.

Any recommendations are welcomed. If it's free, that's awesome, if not, I'm not worried about paying a little money.

Any help is appreciated!

invision power boards.. its free.. thats what overclockersclub uses.. ahh.. 3dgameman.com uses ahh phpbb.. or somthing.. that may be free??

invision power boards.. its free.. thats what overclockersclub uses.. ahh.. 3dgameman.com uses ahh phpbb.. or somthing.. that may be free??

IPB is not free. It's 69.95 per year, or $199.00 for lifetime.

There is a trial version that is limited to:

5000 Posts

1000 Topics

1000 Personal Messages

200 Members

Bulk Mailer Disabled

Language Editing Disabled

SQL Toolbox Disabled

No IPB Portal Included

No SSI Export Facilities

No ability to upgrade between trial versions

Guest FxXP

I use phpbb2 within PHP-Nuke. Works well for me. It's a shame that IB went to commercial licensing.

Edited by FxXP

Paid - Invision Power Board version 2

Free - vBulletin version 3

IMO those are definately the two best. I prefer IPB over vBulletin though, but it costs money as mentioned before.

phpBB is yuck :P

IPB is not free. It's 69.95 per year, or $199.00 for lifetime.

There is a trial version that is limited to:

5000 Posts

1000 Topics

1000 Personal Messages

200 Members

Bulk Mailer Disabled

Language Editing Disabled

SQL Toolbox Disabled

No IPB Portal Included

No SSI Export Facilities

No ability to upgrade between trial versions

ohh.. lol.. are you sure.. i use to have all thoes features.. dloaded it right from there site.. had every feature you just listed?? lol.. but i dont use it any more.. did they change it.. or am i just like.. dreaming..its been a while :P

I also have the free d/l version from them and I have every single feature listed too. The only difference is the IBP copyright removal box if you register. SQL toolbox works and so does the PHP mass mailer and Language editor. Pretty much I don't have 5000 Posts 1000 Topics 1000 Personal Messages 200 Members to test that, but it seems it isn't that limited at all. so :withstupid: seems like asus is right :blink: it doesn't limit you at all.

Thanks for all the replies guys, I really appreciate it.

I wish IPB were still free, I would use it in a heartbeat. However, if I were to buy it, paying $30 more for Vbulletin sounds like it would make sense. By the looks of things, Vbulletin seems to have more features, and seems to be a little more secure.

A popular online modding forum recently got hacked, and they were using IPB, so I am kind of shrugging away from those. Will have to look at Vbulletin and see if they have a free trial.

It seems all the free good message boards, once they have enough features, go commercial. Hopefully phpBB stays free, hehe.