Iceberg 1 Watercooler Updated

Bosco

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, I'm responding to your post about the probs with your iceberg kit. I also have one of these kits and had trouble with the rez cracking after a month.

I believe the reason that I feel that it's cracking is because of thermocycling (heating up and cooling off of an item)

This will make the plastic brittle and crack under stress. The main reason that it cracks around the screws. I'll agree with you that it might not happen if they pretapped the screw holes. but it will still get brilttle.

One thing that I did was line the inside with aquarium sealer. (silicon) when it dried it was rubbery and worked very well. I think if I did that when I FIRST got the the kit it might still be working today.

Thanks for the review, I'd also like to thank "The Sypder" for pointing this forum out to me.

Rob

Interesting, I'll update the review to include the information about using aquarium sealer / silicon. I'm sure this will help new users who have just bought this water cooling kit.

Me n Majormav had EXACTLY the same probs with the Senfu kit which is also based on a plastic res... if you think what you experienced was bad, did you put any water wetter in the kit?!? The Senfu kit was fine but the instant any water-wetter or purple-ice was added you could INSTANTLY see the cracks start to form... we now refuse to sell any plastic based watercooling equipment.

Basically, DO NOT use water-wetter or purple-ice with any kit that has a plastic based res... and if possible, replace the res sooner rather than later before it's too l8!

I also have an Icerberg Cooler system with a cracked resevoir. In my case, I didn't have it installed in the PC yet. I had set it up to test and run and hadn't had time to install it, so it was running for a few weeks. There would have been no heating and cooling, it ran at a constant temp the whole time. So I'm looking for a replacement reservoir. Has anyone had any success getting a replacement from Ahanaix (I'll be contacting them next week) or have another res type to recommend?

I had no water wetter in mine, just a couple capfuls of chlorine bleach and some automotive coolant (glycol) to combat corrosion.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey.. you guys mentioned buying a new resevoir.. couple questions:

Can any resevoir be paired with this system?

With the additional cost of buying a resevoir in mind, am I correct in assuming that buying this cooling system and an additional resevoir would be pointless?

Because of the apparent recurring damage in the Iceberg, is it still worth buying? Only with the silicon combo?

I've been looking around for a decent water cooling system that's above all quiet, and inexpensive (around same price as Iceberg 1). Is there a better solution?

Thanks!

Hey.. you guys mentioned buying a new resevoir.. couple questions:

Can any resevoir be paired with this system?

With the additional cost of buying a resevoir in mind, am I correct in assuming that buying this cooling system and an additional resevoir would be pointless?

Because of the apparent recurring damage in the Iceberg, is it still worth buying? Only with the silicon combo?

I've been looking around for a decent water cooling system that's above all quiet, and inexpensive (around same price as Iceberg 1). Is there a better solution?

Thanks!

Personally, I wouldn't buy it now. The performance isn't there, and the Quality of the resevoir isn't there.

You may want to watch for a new water cooler review that will be posted on our page in a week or two. The ThermalTake Aquarius II. This one might be much better, (atleast the quality looks better).

Hey again.. In the review, what was that confusion with the packaging all about? 3r Poseidon box? That happens to be another cooling system I was looking at, and was vexed to see it in the Iceberg review.

We got it packaged like that because it was a proto-type. When you buy an Iceberg, you shouldn't see 3R on the box.

One more question -

I see one option is to custom build a cooling system, with different parts from different manufacturers. What I'm wondering is if a cooling kit is bought, is it common to replace certain parts of that kit with these custom parts? Or is that counter productive and a waste of money? For example, if one of the components on the Aquarius II ends up being faulty but is otherwise a good system, is it worth it to still buy the set, but replace the component?

And with these kits, if they don't include lets say ramsinks or video card water blocks, can any P4 compatible components be added to the cooling kit setup?