Heatsink Lapping Guide

Bosco

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

flat and shiny are NOT the same things...

truly, didn't mean for this to become a flame thread, and I'm not saying your wrong. Everytime I see a lapping article, peeps take pics of the bottom after and show crap being reflected from the POLISHING job.... My point was, just 'cos it's nice and shiny does not mean it's flat. I would bet you a brand new MCX462 that your lapping/polishing job on your Swirftech made the surface less flat and introduced imperfections that were not there before--I firmly believe that beyound any reasonable doubt. There's NO POSSIBLE way that you made that heatsink flatter by hand. None.

Can you take a trip to SoCal? Bring your "improved" heatsink to Swiftech and put it on their lapper -- I Promise you you will have all kinds of surface flaws that you produced by hand lapping that wasn't there before you started. I'll buy you a new heatsink and pay Gabe outta my own pocket if this isn't true.

Symantics and debate club loophole finding aside--can we agree that the goal of lapping to to make it flat? Not mirror-like, not shiny -- no other adjective applies or is more important than flat. If you want to debate or recrape the merits of a controlled texture on the lapped surface, then so be it, but I still feel that it's *VERY* important to understand that the goal of creating a perfect thermal junction is to make the mating surfaces as flat and parallel to each other as possible. Simple physics bro. Maybe I take that for granted as common sense after taking a few thermo and hydrodynamics couses earning an engineering degree, but not everyone commenting or proclaiming to know about heatsinks has any kind of formal engineering background.

Now, if you picked a heatsink to lap that actually *needed* it...

you lap, to get rid of any small holes that are in the heatsink.. you sand them down to a point were there are no more grooves.. so this way air doesnt affect the heattransfer as bad.

And.. your not polishing the heatsink.. when you sand the heatsink with a higher grit paper.. the block is getting smoother.. there are not as big as gaps on the block which allows reflection to be better..

Most of the time u see someone saying they laped there heatsink.. and its like a mirror.. its fake.. they prolly used photoshop and added a mirror effect to it..

You could never make it as mirror like as you see some peoples..

I mean.. i understand were you are comming from.. so I am not trying to diss you or anything.. im just saying laping your heatsink.. yourself does lower ur temps.. it does get the job done.. and ofcourse it wont be flat.. HUman error.. you rubed 1 spot longer then another.. its bound to be done.. its just stuff you cant control..

the whole point of it is to lower the cpu tempature.. and if you do it.. and check your resualts.. you will see at least 2 degrees drop..

Psykosis...ure only repeating the same thing d3 already stated.....go back and re-read.....a few times.....his goal was to make his heatsink as smooth as possible...therefore lowering his temps...his goal was not to make anything shiny as he has stated to you over and over again!...he did put a mirror-like finish on it cause he wanted to...he didn't say you had to or that it was necessary...the point of these guides are so that typical OCCers can do these things...I don't think most of these guys have a swiftech lapper in their garage ok...you don't have to be a friggen engineer to know what is better....if you see results...then u've done something right....you are the one contradicting yourself...so have you finally decided flatter is better?...thats not what you said at first...you may have a degree but these guys have passion...most of them aren't even out of high school and they probably know more about comps than you do....but I digress....these guides are written with the average OCCer in mind...they are written so that anyone(non-engineer degreed) can follow them....and they work...we've all seen the results...however...since you seem to know so much...then why don't you write a guide for us?? :rolleyes: .....but make sure that everyone can understand it........and make sure that it is unique to any other guide out there...and make sure that everyone will have the tools needed to follow it......and choose your words wisely...someone may take everything you say too friggen literal...ok :)

nice job D3! I fully appreciated your article. Its to bad that others can't see it the way its meant to be seen. Some people are just to sensitive! :P

I'm sure that he can't help himself........ :unsure:

• 2 months later...

Just my Two cents. Thanks for the good info 3D . I used your guide and got great results. Lowered my overall temp 6 F.

I tryed to find 400-2000 grit sandpaper but not an easy jod.

However i did find 400-800-1200-1500 grit at a body shop. I used them an it worked out Great. I cant belive someone hasnt come up with a kit yet. HINT HINT Anyway Thx

• 2 weeks later...
:ph34r: I just finished lapping my Zalman Chipset heatsink to replace an old SOYO fan and heatsink, and it works great, i applied some Arctic silver 3 thermal paste (probably too much, hopefully it wont affect things too much) I havent seen any improvements but the arctic silver site says it takes a week or so before things start to show. I will keep things posted.