Sign in to follow this  
pi-dickens_project

Network Gaming

Im trying to play AoM over the college's network, but for some reason whenever we try to play, other computers never show up. What can we do to play over the network?

make sure you go into internet connection settings an enable the ipx protocol as this is what most lan network games play on

When games dont show up like that I manually join the IP of the game server. I dont know if AoM has this option, but if it does it should work.

if you are all using XP, open up the command line via RUN and type

ipconfig /all

it shows you all the IP addresses of your network (DHCP, Your address, Host etc...)

that way you and all your friends can find out your IP address. be careful though - i believe that most colleges will renew the lease of your IP address every 24 hours. you may be lucky and find that these are the same due to the unlikely demand.

You may want to google what port the game uses then ask the tech desk guys if that port is open or not. I know some colleges have a lot of ports blocked so gaming is kinda difficult.

ipconfig /all - when i type that in, something comes up for about a half a second then dissapears. how do i make it stay???

type cmd in the run thing... then after that opens type ipconfig /all you gotta type that in the command prompt