Can Too Much Hurt You?

Im just curious if too much RAM can hurt you? if you board provide 4 slots and you can have about a gig on each slot? would you get a beter performances if you fill out the max that you can?

and if ram runs on a curve, does anyone know the peak for RAM until it falls?

Most boards won't allow for 1GB per slot unless its ECC or slower memory then the highest the board supports, sorry.

Unless your going to be rendering video/audio files or doing CAD work a lot, more RAM can hurt you. Too much for the computer to think about. 1 GB is perfect for people who want the most of whats good.

I'd say, you can never have enough. Except, I believe that p4's and athlon Xps can only "access" up to 4 gigs at a time.. that would be the only draw back that I can see...

From that I have a question. Do the A64's differ how much ram it can access from 32bit to 64bit?

quoted from this website:

To understand how 64-bit technology gives your computer more RAM memory, you need to do a little math. Don't worry, it's easy math. Your computer's processor uses 8-bit blocks of memory (called bytes) in powers of 2. A 32-bit processor can address up to 232 bytes of RAM, or 4294967296 bytes. That's 4 gigabytes (a gigabyte is 230 bytes).

Theoretically, 64-bit processors can use 264 bytes of RAM, or 18446744073709551616 bytes. That's 17179869184 gigabytes, or 16777216 terabytes (units of 240 bytes).

I didn't notice that it doesn't like exponents pasted directly. Oh well, to answer your question Mr. 21 there is simply a HUGE difference between 32bit compared to 64bit in terms of maximum amount of ram. Heck, I dunno if we will ever use up that much ram in our lifetime.

What are you talking about... There is no such thing as too much ram...

Fill up your board if you want... Usally though 1gb ram chips are slow and have crap timmings. But a lot of ram sure helps when you really load the computer.... Frankly i never froze this computer and it only has 512mb.... 1gb would help when i minimize games and stuff. But my CPU is pretty quick... 2800+ @ 2.55ghz

At work i work on a P4 2.4ghz w/ 512 and i can froze that thing in a heart beat if i tried..

The point is, the only thing a lot of ram can hurt is your bank account.

im debating bewteen 1Gb and 2Gbs. they will be in 512Mb sticks. would i be better off getting just 1Gb? or do u think i'd be ok w/ 2Gbs?

dude.. i went from 512 to 1gb.. and let me tell you.. things are so much faster.. you only need 2gigs ++ for high end video editing and servers.. thats about it.. i think even a gig could be overkill