What's The Best Firewall?

Kamikaze_Badger

After having to remove the same worm several times, I've decided to get a firewall. Problem is, which should I get? Which is the best at keeping stuff out but letting the good stuff in?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

road runner said it best. the only software firewall that is more effective than it is inconveniant and bothersome is a linux firewall. Us users still are better off having a hardware firewall.. like one built into a router than a corporate firewall. they cause more pain then anything.

If you're not going to be behind a hardware firewall, then I would suggest Norton Internet Security. Just be aware that there are known issues with it interfering with Folding (it can corrupt the last several bytes in a dowloaded work unti file, preventing it from being able to successfully decompress).

You should also know the best defense is a combination of both hardware and software firewalls. A hardware firewall is good at keeping things out. However, it won't keep things from going back out of your computer, which a good software firewall can. In your case KB this might be a useful addition.